This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] Spinning cursor, when launching Desktop icons

richyb1

Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:08:02 pm

Hello.

This is my first post.

I have been using Zorin OS for a couple of weeks now, just upgraded from Zorin Lite 8 to 9.

The computer i am running it on is called a Zotac Zbox nettop and has an Intel Atom D525 1.8ghz, 2gb ram and an Nvidia ION2 Gpu.

I am not a linux expert, have tried many distros in the past and have usually uninstalled and gone back to windows within a few hours. Zorin is the first distro i have ever liked and persevered with.. I have installed the Nvidia driver and fixed the massive font issue after installing it, installed pulseaudio, got my firefox the way i like it, installed gedit, installed samba to share my drives over the network, installed libreoffice writer, got vlc working nicely with x11 output and an ffmpeg tweak (plays 1080p h264 nicely, better than windows 7). Tried a few file managers but stuck with your one as I can't get thumbnail view on any (not too bothered though). Playing around with open ssh to control the computer from my laptop, still working on x11 forwarding but i'll figure that out soon.

I am really frustrated that whenever i click on a desktop icon or application launch bar icon that i just have to wait and see if something happens. Searched loads of forums for a way to get a spinning cursor, egg timer, some form of activity notification but not had any luck. Is this due to Nvidia drivers or is it just the way it is? I've never liked ubuntu unity but i'm certain it used to show some sort of activity cursor when clicking an icon.

If anyone can offer a fix or suggestion i would appreciate it. Thank you.

Swarfendor437

Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:50:48 pm

Hi, I certainly get the circle with revolving second hand for want of a better description but I am running Ultimate, not Lite. I would need to download 9 Lite and see if I get similar issues. :D

richyb1

Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:50:14 pm

I installed XFCE4 and this has now resolved the issue. Thank you.