This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Selective Updates

marx404

Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:03:07 am

The Updater pops up saying I have updates in Firefox languages. (Chinese, Portuguese, etc..)
Even thought they are not large files, I don't want or need them.

I cannot find any setting to tell Updater not to check for these, or permanently de-select them. How? Is there a way?
I only need english and dont have Firefox on this machine.

Swarfendor437

Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:31:25 pm

Hi, can you go to System Settings? (Menu | System Tools | System Settings) go to Languages and Regional languages and remove all languages apart from English! :D

Swarfendor437

Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:39:10 pm

Update: this happened to me today too!

1. Uncheck those packages that the updater wants to install then click on 'Install updates'

2. It will reload after main install bits - then click on 'remind me later'

3. Go to Menu | System Tools | System Settings | Language Support

4. Click on 'Install/Remove Languages' - now scroll up and down the languages window that opens and uncheck all unneeded languages - you won't get asked to install those updates again! :D

PS. Even though you don't run Firefox, it is the 'de facto' browser that comes with Zorin and may be the reason why you got those updates appearing in the first place! ;)

marx404

Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:03:07 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Update: this happened to me today too!

1. Uncheck those packages that the updater wants to install then click on 'Install updates'

2. It will reload after main install bits - then click on 'remind me later'

3. Go to Menu | System Tools | System Settings | Language Support

4. Click on 'Install/Remove Languages' - now scroll up and down the languages window that opens and uncheck all unneeded languages - you won't get asked to install those updates again! :D

PS. Even though you don't run Firefox, it is the 'de facto' browser that comes with Zorin and may be the reason why you got those updates appearing in the first place! ;)

Nope. I tried this this morning, didn't have time to post but it did not work. The language updates keep coming back. Oh well, might just go with the flow and install them, shouldn't break anything.

SteveD

Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:34:55 pm

Have you actually uninstalled unwanted languages in System Settings | Language Support | Install/remove Languages?

Swarfendor437

Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:05:30 pm

SteveD wrote:Have you actually uninstalled unwanted languages in System Settings | Language Support | Install/remove Languages?

Hi SteveD - that was the process I posted! ;)

Worked for me straight off! :D

SteveD

Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:39:49 am

Yeah I realise that Swarfendor but I get the feeling that the OP hasn't actually done that bit :)

marx404

Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:58:24 pm

SteveD wrote:Have you actually uninstalled unwanted languages in System Settings | Language Support | Install/remove Languages?

Yes, did not work. I gave up and installed them.