This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Logitech C170 webcam - cheese now broken

marx404

Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:27:48 am

Have a Logitech C170 webcam. Worked perfectly with cheese (and all other apps) in Zorin 8. Zorin 9 not so much. Video works fine in Skype and GUVCviewer. However, when I now open cheese, instead of video I get "There was an error playing video from the webcam" on a black screen.

Did Zorin 9 break cheese? I can still successfully use guvcviewer, but prefer cheese. I already tried the trick of opening guvcviewer and then closing it and opening cheese, does not work.

marx404

Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:29:57 pm

Quick follow up, I did alot and I mean...a Lot of searching for this issue, seems cheese has gone bad (pun intended) and does not play well with latest versions of Ubuntu. Switching to guvcview until there is a fix for this. Does anyone know of a working fix?

Anonymous

Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:42:32 pm

Logitech C615 runs perfect on ZOS9U64.
Geforce-210 Intel XEON Guad Core
Another thing to remember logitech fine tunes their webcams for [ Windows CPU/Graphics Architecture ] [ MAC OSX ]
They would do Linux.... if the bar graph of progress via the kernel didn't go up & down like a oscilloscope triangle wave.
What was fixed in the last kernel is broken/bugged in the next kernel. [ Operating System ]
Ubuntu down the line to Zoirin OS.

I noticed better results when video is kept at the lowest resolution possible.
Note : The newest version of Cheese via ZOS9 is stable compared to the previous releases.

Example ;
620 X 480

marx404

Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:42:43 am

Thanks! The lower resolution did the trick!

Gizmuntu wrote:Logitech C615 runs perfect on ZOS9U64.
Geforce-210 Intel XEON Guad Core
Another thing to remember logitech fine tunes their webcams for [ Windows CPU/Graphics Architecture ] [ MAC OSX ]
They would do Linux.... if the bar graph of progress via the kernel didn't go up & down like a oscilloscope triangle wave.
What was fixed in the last kernel is broken/bugged in the next kernel. [ Operating System ]
Ubuntu down the line to Zoirin OS.

I noticed better results when video is kept at the lowest resolution possible.
Note : The newest version of Cheese via ZOS9 is stable compared to the previous releases.

Example ;
620 X 480

Swarfendor437

Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:46:01 am

Have marked as [SOLVED]. 60 blue jewels to madvinegar! :D