This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Network Manager gui

Acer DeVille

Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:06:31 pm

Yes I'm back with another one of my questions :roll: . I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the search function on this forum sucks. No matter what I put in it to search for, it tells me the words are too common and therefore ignored.

One thing that has bothered me since I started using Zorin, but has never been a big deal until now, is the lack of a gui for Network Manager. I'm assuming the attached screenshot is network manager. I've been using several different networks lately, and I have been having problems with my own as my ISP's modem is a cheap paperweight and won't keep a connection. But I log on, or lose the connection, I can't find a way to get it to reconnect. Every time I've went somewhere new and tried to connect, instead of N-M detecting the wireless, and giving me the option to connect, I've had to go into the panel "start menu", and click on "connect to", then type in all the information about the connection. I've used Ubuntu/Unity & Gnome, Kubuntu, and Zorin, and all the others had a good gui for N-M, but I hate Zorin's.

Am I missing something, or is there a way I can add a gui, or even change to wicd or one of the other wired/wireless manager's?

SplatOz

Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:49:49 pm

I didn't see an attachment on your OP but comparing the NM in Zorin to the one in my Ubuntu box...they don't look that dissimilar.

Even the applets look pretty similar to my eyes.

Swarfendor437

Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:23:21 pm

Hi Acer, Can you please follow my guide on how to upload your screenshot to the forum? ;)

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v385833212XzmANbj

Acer DeVille

Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:45:19 pm

I finally found this one in usr/share/applications, it is actually "Unity-Network", but it's what I was looking for, now if I can find out how to get it on the desktop, and the main menu, so it's easy to get to. I have it in a untitled-folder on the desktop, so it shouldn't be that hard. Thanks for the attempt's to help, and if you have any other suggestions or whatever, I'll be glad to listen. I hate Window$, but there are a few things that M$ got right.

Swarfendor437

Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:51:01 pm

Hi Acer, I am in that other OS at the moment - I am going to have one more last ditch attempt to repair my other Win7 machine that I use for website creation (as I can't get the software to run on GNU/Linux - I have tried! (I am too lazy to learn CSS, Worpress, PHP, joomla or whatever - I much prefer drag and drop to allow me to concentrate on the creative side! :D ) I will come back to you in due course unless someone else steps in in the meantime! :D

Acer DeVille

Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:48:09 am

Unless someone has advice on how to get it to show up on the main menu, you can actually mark this solved, as I found what I was looking for. But I would still love to find out how to move it to the menu.

Swarfendor437

Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:56:07 am

Hi, did you try my suggestion in your other thread? ;)