This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

connected usb devices do not show up

dan4671

Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:50:16 pm

connected usb devices such as my ipod, phone, printer, and even usb wifi adapter only show up if they were plugged in before starting up my computer. how do i change or fix this so i can connect devices to my computer via usb and have them show up as being connected without having to completely restart it?

Swarfendor437

Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:00:06 pm

Hi, can we confirm what version of ZorinOS you are running (6 or 9 LTS) and if you have any devices connected via a USB Hub external to the machine? As for the wifi dongle it would make sense for that to be present at boot up as it will check for network connectivity at boot time - is it a standard wifi dongle or is it a contract one where you pay for network activity using a mobile phone company dongle? :D

Oh and welcome to the forum by the way! :D

dan4671

Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:06:38 pm

I am running ZorinOS 9 Core and no the devices are not connected to a USB hub external to the machine.
the wifi dongle is a standard wifi dongle and I do not pay for mobile network connectivity for it.

Swarfendor437

Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:09:14 pm

Hi, can I check that you are logged in with your user name and not as 'Guest'?

dan4671

Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:11:04 pm

I am currently logged in with my user name

Swarfendor437

Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:17:44 pm

Hi, please take a look at this Community wiki on Ubuntu (on which Zorin is based):

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mount/USB

I don't think dConf Editor is present in Zorin by default, so you will need to install it:

1. Open a Terminal (Menu | Accessories | Terminal) and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get install dconf-tools

2. This will install dConf Editor under Menu | System Tools | Preferences (if memory serves me correctly! :D )

dan4671

Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:37:47 pm

This did not help me. I am not sure if it is just me being new to linux or what but it did not help. The best example i could give for the problem I am having is when I plug in my phone to a computer my phone lets me know it is connected to a computer but in this case it just tells me its charging as if it just connected to a wall charger. IDK if this helps but it is my best example.

Swarfendor437

Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:28:52 pm

Hi, if this is an iphone it could be down to proprietary issues but there are some applications listed in 'Synaptic Package Manager' (Menu | System Tools | Administration | Synaptic Package Manager) - you will need to enter your password (it's a bit like 'Run as ...' in that other OS - Administrator = root in GNU/Linux) - once opened up, look for iphone - and install the necessary package/s.