This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

A couple quick questions

Acer DeVille

Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:24:11 pm

I know normally it's one question per post, but I've got two little questions that put together don't amount to much.

First, there are some applications that show up as installed in Synaptic Manager, and if you go to usr/share/applications, the icons for them are there, and will start if you click them, however I have not managed to figure out how to get them to show up in the main menu. ie...
Zorin-menu-Changer
KontrolPack (yes it's KDE but it's still installed)
and other's

I have tried going through Main Menu, but they just don't show up.

Second I have a red circle in the notification area that says "an error occurred please run package manager from right click menu or apt-get in a terminal....", than has a couple of options "show updates", "install updates", "check for updates" "start package manager", and a few other things, however no matter how much I run apt-get, package manager, check for updates everything it has no effect. What else will fix this?

Swarfendor437

Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:35:05 pm

Hi Acer, if you can cope with installing GnoMenu to replace Zorin Menu I think your issue might get resolved that bit quicker.

1. Follow the instruction guide on how to install Gnomenu here:

http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/03/how-to- ... unity.html

2. After you have installed GnoMenu, right-click the panel (AWN) and select 'Preferences' - then go to the 'Applets' Tab - you will see somewhere in there an icon comprised of 'cogs' and Gnomenu at the side - select this and drag it down to the far left of the replica panel at the bottom of the Applets window - you should now seed two 'Z's! - now in the replica panel, select 'ZorinMenu' - the one to the right of GnoMenu and click on the 'up' arrow above the panel - you now have GnoMenu installed and ZorinMenu still installed but not active in the Panel.

3. Right-click the new 'Z' and select 'Edit' - do the applications show up now? ;)

Keep us posted! :D