This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

move all files in one folder

jloyzaga

Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:58:54 am

I have all these music files that I have in all different folders - some correctly named, some not and I've decided to bite the bullet but I'd like to be able to do this and I don't kow how - especially being a newbie to linux.

I have Zorin ultimate - I have narrowed down the files to a music directory but I've got folders that contain folders within folders. how can I move all folders that are within folders to the music folder in a way that only folders that only contain files(no sub folders) are in the music folder and the ones in music directory (source) either are empty or also only have folders with only files in them.

in other words - dont ant any branches to the tree structure other than to files.

Then I'm going to use musicbrainz picard to work out what they are....

Swarfendor437

Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:28:43 am

Hi, Take it easy on yourself (I am sure that is a lead to a song! :D ) Give yourself a break and install Clementine and let it do the work for you:

43.jpg

22.jpg

44.jpg

13.jpg

It won't physically move stuff around - you just designate which folders contain music - add as many different locations as you want and let it gather it altogether in its interface.

Or do it the hardway - Create an Album folder for each album and dump all the files there, or dump all music into the main Music folder, then delete original subfolders and arrange by artist/album - of course a lot will depend on how the file uses id tags - i.e. does it have Artist/Album/Track info :D

jloyzaga

Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:18:02 am

but once I have it all gathered by clementine I REALLY need to get all these files under a folder not all over the place - how can clementine help me do that?
BTW I have clementine - seems it hangs my system - but I get that with musicbrainz or even large copies these days - already submitted a help request but no go yet
I have zorin 9 ultimate

Joe

Swarfendor437

Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:50:59 am

Welll I think if you know what you want I would suggest you do as I stated - take the files out of the folders (copy and paste). Clementine does not do this for you it just organises the music for you. I have a 64-bit rig but using Zorin 9 32-bit ultimate.

jloyzaga

Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:23:52 pm

why 32 bit? has that helped in Zorin Ultimate slowness?

Swarfendor437

Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:36:19 am

jloyzaga wrote:why 32 bit? has that helped in Zorin Ultimate slowness?

No, it has Adobe Flash configurator which I don't think is present in 64-bit but will have to double-check that. :D