This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

DeVeDe install says remove LibAv File Format?

cominatyalive

Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:29:07 pm

Anyone know anything about DeVeDe?
When trying to install, Linux asks to first remove these 3 files:

libav file format library
libav video post processing library
libav video scaling library

What kind of deal is this?
I have read that if one removes these files, you are in danger of taking a whole mess of files needed along with it.

I need a good AVI to ISO program that works & will install on Zorin 5 Ultimate without any hassles.

Any help would be a God sent.

James

2Stoned

Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:31:33 pm

Try DVDStyler, it works very well and besides no lib files will be removed! The software is a little bit less advanced comparing it to DeVeDe but it will get the job done. I use it as well ;)

cominatyalive

Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:44:42 am

Thanks 2Stoned,
Sorry so long in responding. Yes, I did just that & thank you.

cominatyalive

Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:46:37 am

Well guys,

I installed 5.2 core & no more trouble with DeVeDe. But you were right Swarfendor437, The dependencies have to be installed through the update manager first. After I did that, it was smooth sailing. TY!

madvinegar

Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:14:56 am

Also try K3B. IMO it is far better and far more stable than DeVeDe,

madvinegar

Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:48:24 am

Thanx for the tip Swarf. Excuse me for being such a noob but what do you mean when you say "offers authoring software"?

cominatyalive

Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:00:51 am

Exactly, For creating menus, DeVeDe is great. Installs without a hitch with Zorin 5.2 core 64 bit, but wants to remove a bunch of Lib files in Ubuntu 11.10 go figure.

Wolfman

Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:50:20 am

Hi chaps,

the reason it wants to remove certain files is because of a conflict resolve issue, if it didn't remove said files, there would be a problem somewhere down the line!!.

Some codecs are more advanced than others, by removing one package to make way for another does not influence the performance of the prog but often enhances it!!.

Make sure you have the Medibuntu Repository active (see link below) because you can install all the various codec packs available!!.
W32 codecs/nonfree codecs etc!.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1852

Regards Wolfman :D

cominatyalive

Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:00:32 am

Thanks Wolfman. I will check out that link soon. In the meantime, I just installed it anyways and let it remove the three files. Nothing unusual noticed yet, except that My login is making me login twice again sometimes. Not all the time. I enter my password, I am taken to my desktop, then after a second or two or as soon as I move my mouse, I am taken right back to the login screen again & I have to enter my password again. Then after that I am ok. Mmmmm. Screensaver works ok though & the login thing is the only glitch. I will make sure I have the medibuntu repository active though & ty for your help.

Wolfman

Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:55:10 am

Hi,

boot into recovery mode and run "dpkg", if you have a few glitches it may sort them out!!.

Regards Wolfman :D