This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[MOVED] Zorin 9 issues

Jesse

Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:42:52 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, the thing is when you install the OS and you start using apps it will overwrite any .hidden files that store application settings - hence the way I suggested - backup to thumb drive then put stuff back in there - it's a win-win situation! :D

I put 9 on this morning but have a couple bugs.

1) I can't move windows around. They are fixed where ever they open.

2) Also, there is no - (minimize) (restore) or X (close) buttons at the top right hand corner of the window. I have to find a pull down menu to get around.

Any ideas?

Swarfendor437

Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:00:13 pm

Hi, with regards to 1) I would choose the second menu item at boot, choose 'advanced' and run 'dpkg' but be sure you have internet connection - preferably wired - to enable any potentially missing packages to be installed - after it has completed, DON'T resume - re-boot the machine (as Wolfman would advise).

2) Install 'gnome-tweak-tool' - just launch Synaptic Package Manager (search for it in the search bar of the menu, just like Win 7, by entering the word 'synaptic' - it will be the only application returned - you will need to provide your login details to elevate to 'root'.

Once installed it should be in your Menu | System Tools | Preferences menu aas 'Tweak Tool' - launch it and go to:

Selection_007.jpg

Appearance - try changing the Window settings to get you open close minimise bits back! :D

Keep us posted!

Jesse

Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:26:15 pm

Hello again - I installed Zorin 9 Ultimate on an old laptop and it's running painfully slow and clunky.

2002 Mircron TransPort GX3
1 gig RAM with a 1 gig swap file
Processor: Mobile Intel® Pentium(R) 4 - M CPU 2.00GHz
Graphics: R100 (RV200 4C57) x86/MMX/SSE2 TCL DRI2
32 bit
38 gig hard drive

I've turned off all the animations in Compiz. Clicked on the icon by my name on the log out screen and selected "Zorin Desktop No Effects" but when I call up System Monitor, the CPU still idles at 100%. It looks like Gnome and Firefox are using all the CPU on the process page in System Monitor.

Is there anything else I can try or is it just the nature of the machine?

Thanks and Happy Turkey

Swarfendor437

Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:00:52 pm

Hi Jesse, that is quite an old rig - I would think you might fair better with something like Zorin 9 Lite or LXLE (lxle.net) ;)

Jesse

Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:45:50 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi Jesse, that is quite an old rig...

It's an antique.

If my sister just wanted to use this old machine to play Disney movies for the grandkids, are there things I can delete or modify or turn off in 9 Ultimate to make it faster for DVD playback? For example, Gnome makes the CPU idle at 100%. That's the ballgame right there.

Or should I just start over with Lite or Lubuntu?

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:11:30 pm

I think you would be surprised how quick and responsive LXLE really is and it comes with a large amount of software to boot - only downside is that it is only downloadable via a torrent. You could try Zorin LIte first (Lubuntu 14.04 was disappointing when I gave it a spin in live mode). ;)