This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Suspend makes Dock disappear

oi_antz

Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:46:40 am

I like this Zorin OS. I have been using the OS 9 Ultimate with the Mac Dock theme. It has the panel at the top with notification applet on the right and the dock on the bottom (see screenshot). But I have noticed a consistent problem with the UI, which requires me to restart the machine whenever I unplug an external monitor, or whenever I resume from having suspended when I closed the lid. When I close the lid and it suspends, then I open the lid and it resumes, the dock on the bottom is gone. Happens every time. When I unplug the external monitor (VGA), the Indicator 3 applet disappears off the top panel. I also noticed this today when I plugged in my monitor but the displays were set to have the monitor turned off. When I turned the monitor on in Menu > Administration > Preferences > Displays, the Indicator 3 applet disappeared. I had to reboot to fix it. I would like to know why this is happening and what I can do about it.

Edit: the dock just disappeared without being suspended. I didn't do anything weird. All I did was open this page to upload the screenshot that I had forgotten, and when I selected the file, I thought to view a zoomed in of the screenshot to be sure it is ok in public, but the dock was gone. I will reboot and see if it is a reproducible pattern.

Asus N76V, i7 3630QM 2.4GHz, 8GB, Samsung 120GB SSD, Nvidia GEForce GT 650M.

oi_antz

Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:33:56 pm

Update: nope, taking those exact same steps does not cause the dock to disappear.

Swarfendor437

Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:36:30 pm

Hi, as you like the 'Mac' Look, can I recommend you install 'Cairo-Dock DE' - I use a zorinesque look:

download/file.php?id=3356&mode=view

Just to add I also installed GnoMenu - how to here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8322&hilit=+gnomenu+install#p40311

oi_antz

Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:37:05 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, as you like the 'Mac' Look, can I recommend you install 'Cairo-Dock DE' - I use a zorinesque look:

download/file.php?id=3356&mode=view

Just to add I also installed GnoMenu - how to here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8322&hilit=+gnomenu+install#p40311

That's awesome! I like Cairo Dock a lot more than Docky. I will look into GnoMenu more later on when I get time. Thanks for your help. So it seems that the Indicator applet disappearing problem is the only thing left, but only happens when changing external monitor settings. Hasn't happened since yesterday. Dock disappearing was the most serious problem, let's see if this solves it.

oi_antz

Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:24:12 am

So, I closed my laptop lid and let it sleep, then opened the lid and let it wake. This time the dock is still there, but the Indicator 3 applet is missing. Any ideas how to get this back, and how to make sure it is always running?

Swarfendor437

Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:01:03 pm

Hi, there have been quite a few reports of issues with that particular applet - one workaround is to move the panel to the top of the screen then back down again - right-click the panel and select preferences then on the tab that opens, change position from bottom to top then back again - but if you have to keep doing this it defeats the object - hence Cairo Dock with individual applets! ;)

oi_antz

Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:31:59 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, there have been quite a few reports of issues with that particular applet - one workaround is to move the panel to the top of the screen then back down again - right-click the panel and select preferences then on the tab that opens, change position from bottom to top then back again - but if you have to keep doing this it defeats the object - hence Cairo Dock with individual applets! ;)

Well, I managed to screw up my computer! This is how I did it: Could not understand properly what you meant by using individual applets, so I created a new Cairo Dock, which appeared on the top, overlapping the existing top panel. So I thought I should get rid of the top panel and then see if I can configure the top Cairo Dock to look good. I tried to remove the original top panel in all manner of different ways, eventually changing the preferences style, which made it hideous. So in the end I uninstalled Docky, rebooted, ok. But top panel was still there. So I uninstalled Avant Window Manager, rebooted. Oops, now there is nothing after login, just an empty desktop with no menus, docks, icons, just a cursor and no right-click context menus. So I freaked out, didn't know what to do. Dropped into shell, tried sudo apt-get install avant and avant-window-manager, package not found. So I sudo apt-get install gnome, thinking maybe a gnome desktop would allow me to get running again. Installed, chose gdm for window manager, rebooted. Log in, same problem. No menus, docks etc. Research, find out that have to get ppa for Avant Test, then update the sources list from trusty to saucy. Did that, installed avant-window-manager, rebooted, got my computer back!. Then sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm, chose lightdm as window manager to get the nice Zorin login screen instead of the Gnome login screen, reboot, but now can't log in. When I enter the right password, the login box flashes away and comes back again with no error message. I find this in /var/log/auth.log:

Oct 2 12:57:04 dr-spock systemd-logind[1357]: New seat seat0.
Oct 2 12:57:04 dr-spock systemd-logind[1357]: Watching system buttons on /dev/input/event2 (Power Button)
Oct 2 12:57:04 dr-spock systemd-logind[1357]: Watching system buttons on /dev/input/event6 (Video Bus)
Oct 2 12:57:04 dr-spock systemd-logind[1357]: Watching system buttons on /dev/input/event5 (Video Bus)
Oct 2 12:57:04 dr-spock systemd-logind[1357]: Watching system buttons on /dev/input/event0 (Lid Switch)
Oct 2 12:57:04 dr-spock systemd-logind[1357]: Watching system buttons on /dev/input/event1 (Sleep Button)
Oct 2 12:57:06 dr-spock lightdm: PAM unable to dlopen(pam_kwallet.so): /lib/security/pam_kwallet.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Oct 2 12:57:06 dr-spock lightdm: PAM adding faulty module: pam_kwallet.so
Oct 2 12:57:06 dr-spock lightdm: pam_unix(lightdm-greeter:session): session opened for user lightdm by (uid=0)
Oct 2 12:57:06 dr-spock systemd-logind[1357]: New session c1 of user lightdm.
Oct 2 12:57:06 dr-spock systemd-logind[1357]: Linked /tmp/.X11-unix/X0 to /run/user/112/X11-display.
Oct 2 12:57:06 dr-spock lightdm: pam_ck_connector(lightdm-greeter:session): nox11 mode, ignoring PAM_TTY :0
Oct 2 12:57:06 dr-spock lightdm: PAM unable to dlopen(pam_kwallet.so): /lib/security/pam_kwallet.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Oct 2 12:57:06 dr-spock lightdm: PAM adding faulty module: pam_kwallet.so
Oct 2 12:57:06 dr-spock lightdm: pam_succeed_if(lightdm:auth): requirement "user ingroup nopasswdlogin" not met by user "antz"
Oct 2 12:57:09 dr-spock dbus[1067]: [system] Rejected send message, 7 matched rules; type="method_return", sender=":1.42" (uid=0 pid=3298 comm="/usr/sbin/dnsmasq --no-resolv --keep-in-foreground") interface="($

I don't know what this means, and I have burnt enough time on this today. I reconfigured to use gnome so I can get on with the day.

.. so, if you have a moment, can you please describe how you would go about achieving my goal, which has changed a bit now since I have Cairo Dock. This is what I want:

1. Windows 7 look & feel (because I hate the Mac idea of putting focussed window menu at the top of the screen. I want the menu on each window, all the time).
2. Cairo Dock instead of bottom panel.
3. Thin top panel with indicator applet on right and menu on left.
4. Lightdm login screen, working.

.. This is basically a default install with Cairo Dock instead of Docky, but of course without the Indicator 3 applet disappearing bug.

If I need to do a complete reinstall, so be it. I would feel more comfortable using the official Zorin OS installation than the ppa hack I have done today.. but then again, I have just realized I can probably achieve exactly this by using Cairo Dock in Linux Mint Mate. I will have to consider again why I prefer Zorin OS over Linux Mint. There is something about it that feels more comfortable, but it could just be the graphics.

Edit: I know what it is about Zorin OS. It is much better integrated with WIFI support and CompizConfig. Those things do matter to me.

Thanks!

Swarfendor437

Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:43:05 am

Hi, Can you select 'Advanced Options' from second menu item in Grub and boot to an earlier kernel?

When you install Cairo-Dock you need to remember to choose Cairo-Dock from the Cog on the login screen!

After Cairo Dock, to get the Win 7 look back you need to have installed GnoMenu - you will need to look for this in the 'add-ons' tab of Cairo Dock to add it to the bottom panel - normally Cairo-Dock defaults to Mac look but you can change the configuration to Panel like the desktop I pointed you to that I have.

As regards the splash manager - can you get back to GDM? After that, because you have 'Ultimate' open 'Zorin Splash Manager' and select the graphic splash to get your glowing Z sorted.

Keep us posted! :D

oi_antz

Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:02:46 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, Can you select 'Advanced Options' from second menu item in Grub and boot to an earlier kernel?

When you install Cairo-Dock you need to remember to choose Cairo-Dock from the Cog on the login screen!

After Cairo Dock, to get the Win 7 look back you need to have installed GnoMenu - you will need to look for this in the 'add-ons' tab of Cairo Dock to add it to the bottom panel - normally Cairo-Dock defaults to Mac look but you can change the configuration to Panel like the desktop I pointed you to that I have.

As regards the splash manager - can you get back to GDM? After that, because you have 'Ultimate' open 'Zorin Splash Manager' and select the graphic splash to get your glowing Z sorted.

Keep us posted! :D

Can't be bothered with that TBH. I just like it to work out of the box. So I found out that double-clicking Indicator 3 applet in the dock settings brings it back. Only happens when monitor is plugged/unplugged. I can live with that while the bug gets fixed.

Thanks for your help guys, this is my new favourite OS.

This is what it looks like now:

Swarfendor437

Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:40:32 am

OK, glad you are making progress! Are you happy for this thread to be closed now or are you still having issues? :D

Swarfendor437

Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:41:27 am

Hi, glad things are moving in the right direction - can we mark this thread as [SOLVED] or are you still having problems as reported in earlier post? :D

oi_antz

Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:22:54 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, glad things are moving in the right direction - can we mark this thread as [SOLVED] or are you still having problems as reported in earlier post? :D

Yes, it is solved. Thanks.