This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] Virus removal problem

kernoclive

Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:33:24 am

I am running Zorin 8 and ran a virus check on the computer yesterday as I'd been experiencing problems with e-mails. ClamTk found 8 possible threats. Two I have been able to remove, but two cannot be deleted. They are:-

Found 6 possible threats (284478 files scanned).

/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/wine/fakedlls/comctl32.dll PUA.Win32.Packer.PrivateExeProte-7
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/wine/fakedlls/clock.exe PUA.Win32.Packer.PrivateExeProte-7
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/wine/fakedlls/user32.dll PUA.Win32.Packer.PrivateExeProte-7
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/wine/fakedlls/comctl32.dll PUA.Win32.Packer.PrivateExeProte-7
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/wine/fakedlls/clock.exe PUA.Win32.Packer.PrivateExeProte-7
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/wine/fakedlls/user32.dll PUA.Win32.Packer.PrivateExeProte-7

I've tried logging in as root using gksudo nautilus but I haven't been able to remove these files. I don't use Wine so I'm not concerned about the program.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I've used Zorin for years but I've little technical knowledge so I need a fairly simple explanation. Thank you.

Swarfendor437

Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:04:02 pm

Hi, if you don't use Wine there is no point having it on the machine so open a terminal (Menu | Accessories | Terminal) and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get purge wine

Hopefully, the removal of wine will also get rid of your viruses - bear in mind, they cannot do any harm to your GNU/Linux install but if you were running Windows Applications under WINE you would probably end up with damaged Windows Apps! ;)

If they are still showing up, make sure you are 'off-line' - not connected to the internet - open a terminal and enter:

Code:
gksudo nautilus

then navigate to those folders (if they are still there after removing WINE) try deleting them.

Keep us posted.

kernoclive

Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:03:56 pm

Thank you for your suggestions Swarfendor437. Removing Wine didn't help so I had another go at removing the individual files as root. Nothing seemed to happen and after a while a message appeared saying fakedlls had stopped responding. I forced quit but could make no progress after that. Eventually, I discovered that a threat had been deleted that way, but I could only clear one at a time and had to re-boot after each one. Just login out and back in didn't work. I've cleared tham all now though. Thank you for you help.

Swarfendor437

Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:44:24 am

Hi, thanks for keeping us posted on this - could you please PM the Admins on this so that they are aware?

AZorin and zorink.

Many thanks.

Swarfendor437

Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:06:22 pm

OK, ignore my last post. Take a look at what I found!:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2237002

and

http://askubuntu.com/questions/488649/c ... steam-file

also check out the hyperlinks in each of the above threads.

Also this:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ ... ion/page-4

;)