This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[MOVED] Beginner help

larryag99

Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:54:14 pm

Hello... I'm new to Linux and could use some help. I'm running Zorin 9.0 Ultimate, and struggling to understand it. Something as simple as trying to view my drives and files is difficult. I have 2 hard drives installed and can't find them, and then when I think I have found them the system says I can't look in them because they are not mounted. Not quite sure what "mounted" means, but if its anything like installed, they are certainly installed because the system boots off one of them. Tried saving a text document but about the only place it would let me save them to is the desktop.

Is there a Zorin for beginners somewhere? Perhaps an index of terms also? Seems like everything I have found so far seems to assume the reader has significant familiarity with either Linux, Ubuntu, or a version of a older ditro. Several of the help threads, although some current, seem to reference a distro other than what I have, therefore when the writer says look for this, or do this... I can't find such on my version.

Its frustrating. I'm pretty proficient with Windows, but this Linux thing has me lost. I hate to bother people with stupid beginner questions, therefore I would rather find a solid reference for my many questions, now, and in the future. Maybe someone can remember back when they were a beginner and what helped them? Perhaps there should be a category in the forum entitled "beginners with stupid questions".

Anyway... any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much !

Larry

Pierre

Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:40:01 am

like in the World of Windows - < My > Computer
- click on that

on the left, is the tree, in that is various folders that are on your main hdd
- also in that list are any "extra drives" that exist - HDDs,, thumb dives,, etc
click on any of them, to 'mount' that drive & it's contents are shown in the 'windows area' to the right of that tree.
( mount is the opposite of 'safely remove ) ( if it's not 'mounted' then you can't see / use it )

Zorin is based on the Ubuntu O/S - so read the " Ubuntu for beginners guide"
- they are not identical O/Ss but they are similar in their useage.

http://www.makeuseof.com/pages/ubuntu-a ... ners-guide
- that is just one guide - there are several Ubuntu guides, to be found.

Finally - remember that the Zorin crew - have customised their O/S - to look like a 'World of Windows' PC.
- but - it still behaves like a Ubuntu PC does.