This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Random keyboard layout reset and others, Zorin OS 9 64 bit

zorkrab

Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:25:35 pm

Hi there!

I'm new to all this and also to Linux, so I'm not sure, if and what I should post here regarding this issue. I have a notebook running Zorin OS 9, and although everything worked rather out-of-the-box, there are three strange annoyances, that seem to happen rather randomly. Maybe anyone else in here, experiencing the same things?

First: I have a german keyboard and the system is set to a german keyboard layout (QWERTZ). It happened to me, that the keyboard was suddenly reset to another layout (QWERTY) without me doing anything, or at least nothing I would remember. This is fixed by changing the layout back to german, but it happened at least four our five times already and is rather annoying.

The second annoyance would be the complete disappearing of the "Indicator 3 Applet" from the awn-dock. This also seems to happen quite randomly, as far as I noticed. It can be put in the dock again, but it's simply strange.

The third one: I noticed this just two times, and I could be mistaken, but suddenly the keyboard backlighting was turned on. I know, that both times it was at system-start turned off. At my rather brightly-lit workplace I at first didn't notice, but twice already now I later noticed, that the backlight was turned on at some point in time (not in full brightness though).

Gremlins? I don't think so. And since my flatmate is on vacation I don't think that it's a trick he pulls on me ;)

Did anyone of you also notice this kind of strange behaviour?

Greetings
Christian

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:57:43 am

Hi, firstly have you changed your global language settings? When you installed were you given the option to choose a German keyboard? (I am aware that not all alternative languages are available at point of install).

Another option might be to use 'ibus' in respect of your keyboard but this is mainly for far east/asian language keyboards.

With regards to the indicator applet 3 this is a known issue - that is why I installed GnoMenu instead and set up Zorin how I like it:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7983

I also use Cairo Dock and modified its look to be similar to Zorin:

download/file.php?id=3448&mode=view

With regards to your backlight issue, my best advice to you in the meantime unless anyone has an answer is to search in your preferred search engine for:

Keyboard backlight coming on in Ubuntu 14.04 (which is what Zorin is based on) - also include your notebook model in the search for better 'finds'. ;)