This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Trouble burning Zorin 9 install DVD (SOLVED)

CCYMan

Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:49:04 pm

I have been on Zorin 8 for several months and I was happy to ignore Zorin 9 until this shell shock bug came about and I found that I can't fix bash in Zorin 8 because it's End of Life.

Okay, so I downloaded Zorin 9 32-bit and verified that my checksum (MD5) was the same as the one shown on the download page. Then I burned the image to a DVD in Windows using a program called Nero, using the lowest speed offered (6x). I tried to boot from the DVD but eventually it said "authentication failure" and that was that.

So then I booted to Zorin 8, went to Brasero and tried the same thing, burning the image to disc using the lowest offered speed, again 6x. When it was done burning it checked the disc and it said there were errors while burning and some files may be corrupted. I searched the web for more information about this and read that this is a known bug even when the disc is fine (hmm, that's...reassuring?). Needless to say when I tried to boot from my newly-burned installation disc and again got "authenticate failure."

I am at a loss for what to do at this point. I don't want to continue to create coasters until you good people can help me solve this frustrating and annoying issue. If the checksum confirmed that the .iso file is good but I can't burn any slower then what else can I do? I cannot boot from USB; I tried it but this 2004-era Dell Dimension is too old for that kind of thing.

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:01:13 pm

Hi, the Zorin brothers advise that you only use Firefox (for me Opera) to download the image, and don't use any form of download acceleration.

Is your Burner's minimum speed 6x? If you are burning in GNU/Linux you might get better results with K3b - in Windows I would use nothing other than imgburn - which you can download from ninite.com.

Again burn at slowest speed - imgburn will let you drop to 1x - it will report a mismatch but then burn at the minimum speed your burner will burn at.

What brand of DVD?

CCYMan

Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:54:52 pm

Thanks for the reply, Swarfendor437.

I'm pretty sure I downloaded from Firefox the first time but I will try downloading the file again. I'll also install K3B and try burning at an even lower speed. The discs are Sony DVD+R.

Anyway, it's morning where I am and I won't be doing this until tonight, so I'll post an update later.

CCYMan

Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:12:02 pm

Sorry it has taken me several days to respond - it was a very busy week at work. Anyway, things have gotten interesting...

I re-downloaded the .iso file from the Zorin downloads page, installed Imgburn on a laptop running Windows Vista, and burned a disc at the lowest speed. I tried booting the laptop from the newly-burned Zorin 9 installation DVD and it worked!

So then I took the same DVD and put it into the other computer, and when I tried to boot from it I got...authentication error. Also for what it's worth, the disc booted up and launched Zorin within a couple of minutes on the laptop, but it took a good 10 minutes on the PC before I got the error message, including long stretches of what seemed like silence.

So I suppose the good news is that I know I have a workable installation DVD. But the bad news, and weird news, is that my PC doesn't seem to like it. Any ideas on what to do next?

Swarfendor437

Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:38:12 am

OK.

1. What version of Zorin did you download - 32-bit or 64-bit? Is the computer 64-bit or 32-bit? (processor)

2. You definitely have a DVD Optical Drive in the computer and not a CD drive?

3. You have cleaned your optical drive? http://www.allsop.com/cleaning-/dvd-carbon-edge-pro-/
Quite a few releases a go this was all that was needed with another forum member! :D

4. No HDD encryption?

Could you provide us with full detailed spec of the computer?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5449

CCYMan

Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:34:23 pm

Yes, I downloaded 32-bit and my machine is 32-bit. The optical drive is a CD/DVD drive. Regarding system settings, I went to system settings and here is what I've got:

Memory: 2.5 GiB
Processor: Intel Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz x 2
Graphics: Intel 915G x86/MMX/SSE2
OS type: 32 bit
Disk: 12.9G

The disk information is obivously just the partition on which I have Zorin. As for disc cleanliness, funny you should ask. Here is how I addressed that problem yesterday:

1. Read online that you can remove your optical drive and clean the laser lens that way.
2. Removed and spent a great deal of time and effort taking apart my optical drive.
3. Wiped the lens with a lint-free cloth wetted with rubbing alcohol.
4. Broke the drive while attempting to re-assemble it.
5. Went to Best Buy and spent $40 on a new one, an HP "dvd1265i", which is now installed.

Now I have a new issue. I put in the installation DVD and almost immediately got the "kernel panic" messaging below. At this point I was ready to give up on Zorin altogether, so I burned a Linux Mint 17 installation disk and got the same problem. So we know the problem is between my PC and Ubuntu 14.04 and not Zorin-specific.

kernel panic.JPG

Also, in anticipation of another possible question, the cpu is pae-capable per the output below when I ran a "cpuinfo" command in terminal:

processor : 1
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 15
model : 3
model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
stepping : 4
microcode : 0x13
cpu MHz : 2992.679
cache size : 1024 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 0
cpu cores : 1
apicid : 1
initial apicid : 1
fdiv_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 5
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe constant_tsc pebs bts pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl cid xtpr
bogomips : 5985.35
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 128
address sizes : 36 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
power management:

CCYMan

Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:07:51 pm

You can mark this one as SOLVED!

Actually, I didn't solve the problem so much as I went around it by installing from a USB drive. I had tried this once before and it didn't work, but I did some further reading and learned that I needed to format the USB drive to FAT32 first, then use Unetbootin to create a boot USB. I did all that and Zorin 9 is installing on the other computer right now. I have no idea why my computer would not boot from the installation DVD but I guess it doesn't matter now. Thanks again for your help.