This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

No audio in any other application while MuseScore is open

ZDuncan

Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:07:11 pm

I've upgraded my operating system from Zorin 8 to 9 and re-installed MuseScore, version 1.3 revision 5702. Since upgrading the OS I have been unable to play music files from Rhythm Box, YouTube etc. as long as MuseScore is open. As soon as it's closed down, sound returns in all other applications.

I posted this on the MuseScore forum, and one of the posters suggested that the program is grabbing exclusive use of the soundcard, and suggested I have a look at the sound driver settings. However, when going into 'Sound' from "System Settings" there wasn't anything obviously connected to this. Can anyone help me with regards to how to check the relevant settings?

Being a music teacher, this is a bit of a problem as I use the software for work, for example listening to music on YouTube whilst transcribing into musical notation using MuseScore, running the two applications simultaneously. It's particularly annoying as this problem didn't exist on Zorin 8. In all other ways however, I'm loving Z9.

Thanks very much.

Swarfendor437

Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:48:49 pm

Hi, have you had a look on Ubuntu Forums for similar issues in Ubuntu 14.04 on which Zorin is based? It could be that. If your main purpose is Music also take a look at AVLinux from BandShed. ;)