This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How to resize the mouse pointer in unity desktop?

kb50

Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:10:44 pm

There appears to be a file within Zorin that can be edited but the default setting is DMZ-White.
How can it be altered to enlarge the size of the mouse pointer.? I tried to install an Ubuntu utility buit it fails to run, even from terminal.
I thought I had found the mouse slider somewhere but it was greyed out thus not allowing any changes. Anyhow I am hoping to figure this out.

Swarfendor437

Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:52:29 pm

Hi, try the Comix mouse pointers! :D

Search for them in Synaptic Package Manager - Menu | System Tools | Administration | Synaptic Package Manager :D

kb50

Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:15:13 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, try the Comix mouse pointers! :D

Search for them in Synaptic Package Manager - Menu | System Tools | Administration | Synaptic Package Manager :D

Thanks I shall have to give this a shot. Its not a huge big problem but since desktop is aty 1280x1024 size the pointer got pretty small. And I am of limited vision. I do like however that Zorin has the nice Dark Themes that help out a lot.

Have been searching a while to find any kind of answer to this.

The last thing I hope they add to Zorin is a Sync function that would allow you to use either an email account or Dropbox or whatever to save your current settings to a cloud storage. however I use Redo to keep the whole thing backed up on a weekly basis so I guess that works. Just wish the developers of Redo would update it even if just the basic Kernel as it remains a great program despite its minor limitations. Someday somone is also going to develop a backup (total disaster recovery) that works with ext4 and hfs+ and any other file system to allow you to make fast small and efficient backups from within Linux. One that either runs as a scheduled task or just one that well does more than backup your home folder(s). If windows can do it using Snapshot then so should Linux be capable of.

If i could ever learn enough I found the engine that does the backup process for Redo and I wonder if it could actually be placed onto the Live Distro DVD or flash drive to be one of the options at boot time.

kb50

Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:26:34 pm

Tried this, and also installed unity desktop tools, which added dconf editor. But found nothing in doconf editor panel to adjust the mouse. I also tried to install Ubuntu tweak Tool That worked although it did not install on the Start menu etc. I could invoke it from command line. Its actually a useful tool in some ways. I wonet into the appearance and found mouse settings, and change it tio comix but it did not change anything. It obviously install then that theme, but still no ways to select it. I suspect it is because that Ubuntu uses Gnome2 desktop which it probably would alter those settings. But unity has no sliders or anything to alter the mouse settings. Maybe when Zorin 10 comes along they will have something to configure it. Again I can live with it but it would be nice to have a larger or different mouse pointer.

Swarfendor437

Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:20:30 pm

Hi I found this:

http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/10/how-to- ... e-and.html

Using the command line saves expanding many levels in dconf - however, as Zorin 9 is based on ubuntu 14.04 it is not an instantaneous change but requires log out and in. I have got 96 point size that works in active window but not on borders or desktop - drops back to standard 24 points DMZ-white. :(