This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS 9 Core and the Windows (Super) key

Aprendiz

Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:27:45 pm

Good evening,

I am trying to bind the windows (Super) key to open the start menu (like the start menu on windows, or the dash on ubuntu 14.04), and I cannot locate the command to which I am supposed to link the super key.

Is this normal since Zorin OS 9 is based on Ubuntu 14.04 which has this feature; is this intended?
How do I bind the windows key with opening the zorin's start menu?

Thanks in advance,
Aprendiz

Aprendiz

Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:29:01 pm

I'd like to add that Alt + F4 doesn't work either (shutdown shortcut, it works for closing programs). I'd really apreciate if somebody could just tell me if its a bug or not, it would mean the difference between waiting for a fix or reinstalling Windows again.
Also, this is by far the sexiest, prettiest Linux distro out there imho. How can it be called the Gateway to Linux as a calling for beginner Linux users if (in my case) the 2 most used keyboard shortcuts don't work.
I am also curious as to WHY it does not work, if it is based on Ubuntu 14.04 and Ubuntu features both of these handy shortcuts (Linux Mint does aswell but it is aswell Ubuntu-based).

Best regards,
Aprendiz

Aprendiz

Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:43:01 pm

I have emailed the developers directly asking if this was one of the Ultimate version advantages that Zorin OS 9 offers, and was told by the Team that:
"We are currently working on making the Super key show the Zorin Menu. When this feature will be implemented we will supply it as a software update for all editions of Zorin OS (both free and premium) which use the Zorin Menu using the Software Updater program."

So, for other users which might be asking themselves the same question since they use the super key shortcut... Hold your horses! Don't uninstall Zorin just yet. It seems to be on the Dev's To Do list.
And for what I have seen from Zorin so far, it is well worth the wait.

Mods, I guess you can close the topic.

Best regards,
Aprendiz

Swarfendor437

Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:30:06 pm

In the meantime:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7983

I mistakenly said that when you do this you lose 'Alt+ Win+ Tab' for Aero - you don't! But you cannot move the windows around using the Super key and arrows like you can in Windows 7. :D