This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Low Disk Space

Dude

Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:20:36 am

I've got a bit of a problem that might be different than some others. I've tried researching this, but haven't seen the same thing that I've got.
Okay, first off a little about my computer...
My desktop is running an Athlon XP 3200+ CPU
2.5 GB of Ram
an ATI Radeon HD 4600 series graphics card
and I'm running Windows Vista 32bit SP2 along with Zorin 9 32bit Core

I have 2 hard drives in this machine, one is a 80GB and the second is a 250GB

Now the message I'm getting when I start Zorin is I have about 300MBs left for disk space. When I installed Zorin it made partitions for me in both hard drives, but only mounted (bootable) 15GB's of the 80Gig hard drive. In my other hard drive, it has 110GB's for Linux Ext4, but it's NOT mounted. Do I mount the file system in my second hard drive? And do I make it bootable like the first hard drive? I also have 2.7GB's of Linux Swap (Ver.2) in my second hard drive that is NOT active. Should I make that active as well?

And one more thing. If I do need to mount and activate these partitions, could you please tell me how I go about doing this? I'm new to this still and I don't want to mess anything up. Thank you for any help you guys can give me.

Dude

Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:45:20 pm

I've still got this problem, and my comp tells me I've got 285.4MB's left of space when I start Zorin.

I really don't want to do something on my own, and have my computer screwed up. Could someone please help me?

Swarfendor437

Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:47:25 pm

Hi Dude, Let's go back a little. Before you installed Zorin which drive held/hold's Vista and if you had 2 drives in use when only Vista present, how were these partitioned/formatted? ;)

Dude

Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:38:15 am

I had Windows XP installed on this computer originally, but I replaced the video card and added a hard drive, so Microsoft decided that I changed too much stuff and told me I had to buy another operating system, that's when I installed Windows Vista. So I had both hard drives installed with Vista, and when I installed Zorin, well, Zorin decided on it's own where to be installed and partition what it wanted I guess. I thought I was supposed to decide where Zorin was to be installed.

Before I installed Zorin, what I really wanted was to have Zorin on the 250 gig hard drive by itself, and Windows on the 80 gig. That might be too much work to do now.

I'm down to a little over 100 megs of space left, so I've got to do something pretty soon.

Thank you very much for helping me out. I really appreciate this.

Linx

Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:50:53 pm

1) I suggest a reinstall, 20GB should really be used just for the system files.
2) it is super easy to have the system mount the other drive on boot, the question is, where do you want it to mount?

IMPORTAINT: Linux considers logging to be critical during system boot, if you run out of space on a linux computer, the machine will no longer boot. It should run, just not boot.

You have several locations that are going to use disk space.
Code:
MYUSER@MYBOX:~$sudo su
[sudo] password for MYUSER:
root@MYBOX:~# cd /
root@MYBOX:/# for file in `ls`;do du -sh $file;done
9.7M   bin
89M   boot
4.0K   cdrom
12K   dev
15M   etc
1.4G   home
0   initrd.img
0   initrd.img.old
476M   lib
4.0K   lib64
16K   lost+found
8.0K   media
8.0K   mnt
12K   opt
du: cannot access ‘proc/29042/task/29042/fd/4’: No such file or directory
du: cannot access ‘proc/29042/task/29042/fdinfo/4’: No such file or directory
du: cannot access ‘proc/29042/fd/4’: No such file or directory
du: cannot access ‘proc/29042/fdinfo/4’: No such file or directory
0   proc
52K   root
du: cannot access ‘run/user/1000/gvfs’: Permission denied
1.4M   run
19M   sbin
4.0K   srv
0   sys
4.1M   tmp
4.6G   usr
857M   var
0   vmlinuz
0   vmlinuz.old
root@MYBOX:/# exit

That will show you what is taking up the most space.

you will need to mount another partition / disk and copy the folder (I would suggest as root via sudo) to the newly mounted location, then edit the fstab
Code:
sudo nano /etc/fstab
and add the needed line (there are alot of guides for this everything just google "linux fstab" ) and then reboot and make sure everything is properly mounted.
Code:
$ df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1        55G  2.1G   51G   4% /
devtmpfs        3.9G     0  3.9G   0% /dev
tmpfs           3.9G     0  3.9G   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           3.9G  257M  3.6G   7% /run
tmpfs           3.9G     0  3.9G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/md126p1    5.5T  1.1T  4.4T  20% /home

The line you will need to add will be in this format.
Code:
/dev/<drive&part#>     /mnt/location    fileformat    defaults    1  2

in my box it looks like this
Code:
/dev/md126p1           /home                   xfs     defaults        1 2

Hope this helps.