This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

New Update changes Zorin 9 with Ubuntu 14.10 features?

marx404

Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:18:38 am

Tonight the Updater in Zorin 9 came up, saying an update to Ubuntu 14.10 was available. After an hour-long installation, a few things have changed. for instance:

The Zorin hexagon logo on blue screen on bootup are no longer there. No I get a black screen until the desktop loads.

About This Computer says Ubuntu 14.10 and has Ubuntu logo, instead of Zorin logo.

Change Desktop Background dialogue now includes Themes, Behavior and Launch Icon Size.

In AWN menu, Zorin Help has been replaced with Ubuntu Help, which brings up Ubuntu Help dialogue box now.

Is this a valid or buggy update? The only thing I did different was to Keep my old grub boot loader when asked if I wanted to replace it during this update.
What gives here?

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:54:52 am

That is very odd - is the 'Check for latest updates to Ubuntu' in Software Updater | Settings set to 'Never'?

marx404

Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:13:22 am

In the Updates tab in Software and Updates, Notify me of a new Ubuntu version is set to "For any new version". If that is what you are referring to?

Everything seems to work fine, only it's as if I have Zorin with some Ubuntu features now. Hopefully nothing critical is broken.....

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:28:22 am

Basically it should not have changed to that - it should always be set to 'Never' - checked my settings after posting and normal install should have it set to 'Never' - You will have issues on not having elements of Zorin not being present! :(

marx404

Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:31:15 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Basically it should not have changed to that - it should always be set to 'Never' - checked my settings after posting and normal install should have it set to 'Never' - You will have issues on not having elements of Zorin not being present! :(

Other than re-installing Zorin from scratch, any way to revert these changes? Thanks.

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:52:07 am

Hi, I had this mishap in ZorinOS 4 when the default install was not set to 'Never' - afraid you will need to do a fresh install! :(

marx404

Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:08:53 pm

Ok, one last thing. Everything seems to work perfectly. So how can I test to see if anything did actually get screwed up? If not, I kind of like the weird hybrid!

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:10:54 pm

Well just keep doing reboots and using the apps you regularly use - the downside - 14.10 is a short-term-release - 9-12 months support tops - hence better dropping back to Zorin 9 'pure' LTS. ;)