This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Connect to wifi, but not useable

DanPerry1808

Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:57:04 pm

I've just installed Zorin OS 9 Core (64 bit). Upon installation, I connected to my wifi router as it was recommended by the installation wizard and after putting in my WPA key, it said I was connected. After installation, I installed google chrome, but when I loaded it for the first time, the page said it was unable to connect to the internet and gave me the error code of "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET". This also happens for Firefox (as I never uninstalled it). I know nothing about any Linux software so I am pretty clueless.

[EDIT] Also, if its of any use to you, a popup asked if I wanted to update software, but that did not work either.

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:13:36 pm

Hi, please be patient and wait for madvinegar - the wireless expert! :D

madvinegar

Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:31:20 pm

Can you please post back the results of the following terminal commands:

lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
lsusb
sudo lshw -c network
sudo rfkill list all
lsmod

Linx

Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:22:22 pm

DNS is the Domain Name Service or Domain Name Server.

This is one of the first steps completed when trying to access anything on the internet. Basically, DNS is used to translate Domain Names to IP address. eg, google.com to 64.233.176.101.

There are several tools you can use to test is DNS is working, I don't know which ones come preinstalled, so here are my favorites.
First Access Terminal ( Zorin Menu > Accessories > Terminal )
Code:
nslookup google.com
nslookup google.com 8.8.8.8
or
Code:
dig google.com
dig @8.8.8.8 google.com

and if all else fails
Code:
host google.com
ping -c 1 google.com

let us know what you get!