This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

System forcing colors where it looks bad?

xCvl

Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:19:23 pm

Hey I just switched to Zorin from Ubuntu and I love it, the one thing that has been bugging me is that it seems like the system is forcing its color scheme into places in apps that are not very helpful, for example the search bar in this browser (see screenshot.) Is there a way to tell Zorin not to use those colors and stuff everywhere? Or is it something an app will have to do? Thanks!

Swarfendor437

Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:34:32 am

Hi, no screenshot - that could be because you are using Firefox (which the odd thing is I can use Firefox on this forum for screenshots in Windows!!!) or Midori (or Chrome? - never used it!).
Install Opera Browser from the Browser Chooser Manager (Menu | Internet).

I would try and install the following to play with (I suspect your issues might be with the Themes - this is a Gnome 3 issue talked about extensively on other sites concerning Gnome3 DE).

1. Install 'gnome-color-chooser' from the Terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T or Menu | Accessories | Terminal):

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-color-chooser

(You will be asked for your login password to give you root (administrator) priveleges - but you won't see any dots or asterisks so be sure you enter your password correctly - you are given three attempts to do so before you get kicked back as a normal user.)

2. Install 'Gtk.ch' - gtk Theme Changer - Look for this in Synaptic Package Manager:

Menu | System Tools | Administration - or just enter 'synaptic' in the search bar of the Windows 7 menu - it will be the only app that gets returned - then search for gtk ch. - Mark it for installation, then 'Apply'

Have fun! :D