This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Partition Deleted - Grub Rescue

DanPerry1808

Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:40:18 pm

After installing the 64 bit version of Zorin OS 9 for my computer on a new partition for dual booting with Windows 7. I soon found that the OS was not for me and I much preferred Windows 7, so as a Linux noob, I attempted to uninstall the OS by deleting the Partition that Zorin was running, reassigned that spare space to my Windows 7 drive (Drive C) and then shut down my computer. upon restart I found that the computer said that the partition could not be found and "Grub rescue>" which I am presuming is a command line. I need to knwo whether or not there is a command that will allow me to tell the computer to boot from the C drive where my Windows installation is instead of going to the no longer there L drive (the drive I deleted that contained Zorin). If this is not possible, then I still have the Windows 7 installation disk but I would then need to know whether my files would be deleted from the C drive if I were to uninstall.

If you could get past ASAP, the that would be brilliant,
Thanks in advance, Daniel

[EDIT] I just tries a set of commands from a youtube video that go like this:
set boot=(hd0,msdos6)
set prefix=(hd0,msdos6)/boot/grub
insmod normal
normal

When I typed in the third line of code it told me to add a ) to the end of it, when I did however it told me that there was no such partition.

Swarfendor437

Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:27:40 pm

Hi, you have deleted your Zorin OS so that last bit referring to YouTube only applies if you have difficulty booting to GNU/Linux. You need to put your Windows 7 CD and do a repair job and choose the bottom option of running a Command Prompt - once you are there enter the following commands:

Code:
bootrec.exe /FixBoot

and

Code:
bootrec.exe /FixMbr

Be sure that you have navigated to C: before doing those commands:

Code:
cd .. C:

Just to ensure that you have an intact system and you have not destroyed any partition tables, boot your Zorin DVD in Live Mode, run GParted (just search for it in the Win7 menu search bar) and check that you have an NTFS partition showing.