This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] System Settings menu

BeatlesFan#1

Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:04:08 am

After updating after installing Zorin 9 Core, my System Menu changed to:

screenshot.jpg

How do i restore it to the way it was? Thanks for the help,
Stan

Swarfendor437

Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:57:57 pm

Hi, you didn't change any settings or installed anything extra did you? Have you fully updated your system after install?:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2054

I would also go to Synaptic Package Manager (Menu | System Tools | Administration) and on 'Edit' select 'Fix Broken Packages' - if it does not show any, boot into 'Safe Mode' equivalent (second menu option in GRUB at boot time) and select 'dpkg' - be sure you have a wired connection to the internet before doing this - after the updates have applied, shut down (DON'T select Continue!) and reboot the machine in normal mode to see if this helps. If still an issue try this from a Terminal Window (Menu | Accessories | Terminal):

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-system-settings

Keep us posted!

BeatlesFan#1

Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:56:19 pm

None of the methods you provided worked. Im getting an error unable to locate the package. Also my 2 option at boot has 4 optins insede it, 2 normal boot options and 2 recovery modes, one has 39 at the end and another 32. Maybe i should reformat and reinstall the system? Thanks for the help. I have updated system after install with the updates that were provided. and i tried installing postgresql and got an error. Didnt make any other changes.

Linx

Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:07:27 pm

Befor trying what Swarfendor437 has suggested, Please run this command
Code:
sudo apt-get update
it will make sure the repo cache is upto date =D

Swarfendor437

Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:12:15 pm

Linx wrote:Befor trying what Swarfendor437 has suggested, Please run this command
Code:
sudo apt-get update
it will make sure the repo cache is upto date =D

I covered that in the post to Wolfman's topic before the subsequent advice! ;)

BeatlesFan#1

Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:51:00 pm

Thanks for all your help, guys. I re-installed Zorin and everything is where it should be :D The only weird thing was, after installing and after updating i had the sound, but after a day or two it disappeared. I re-installed the driver and now that works too. :D

Swarfendor437

Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:23:25 pm

Glad to hear you are sorted - because you did a reinstall I will mark as [RESOLVED] instead of [SOLVED]! :D