This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

how to have wallpaper slideshow

steadyeddy

Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:30:44 pm

Hi,
I just installed Zorin Edu Lite 9 on a student computer at my school...old IBM Thinkcentre MT-M 8198-81U. It's working well and I like the interface so far. I have Kubuntu on most of the student computers, but I have about 10 that are too old to run Kubuntu without issues. Zorin lite solves that problem.

I wanted to set the background wallpaper to some downloaded images in a slideshow like I did on the Kubuntu machines, but it is not an available option in desktop preferences. I searched on here and found a post where someone installed Shotwell and set it to do that. I installed Shotwell and moved the images to that program and set it to "Set as Desktop Slideshow" and it exported and said it was generating the backgrounds, but nothing ever changed. I rebooted and still the same default background is there. I can change the background to one of the images just fine, just can't get it to change on a schedule.
Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks,
Ed

Anonymous

Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:50:48 pm

I personally don't have the [ Lite ] version.
Until you can get an good answer from someone.
Look in the software center [ Keyword > Slideshow ]
There has to be a couple of gizmo applications to install for that purpose.

Google Search

Keyword Search > slideshow > gnome-look.org

I think....of recalling something of the sort for that purpose. [ Slideshow ]

steadyeddy

Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:17:37 pm

I found a way to make the wallpaper switch each time a user logs in. I don't remember who posted this answer or where I got it...it's been a few months. I'll paste it below.

Ok here we go.

First lets make a desktop icon.

To create a desktop icon right click on the desktop and create a blank file. Name the file whatever you want just end it with .desktop I usually name the icon randomwallpaper.desktop

Once the file is created right click on it and open it with leafpad.

Copy and paste the following code in it
Code:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Name=Random Wallpaper
Comment=Randomly change LXDE wallpaper.
Exec=bash -c 'pcmanfm -w "$(find ~/Pictures/Wallpapers -type f | shuf -n1)"'
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Utility;
Icon=wallpaper

Once the code is pasted close and save it.

Now I'm going to assume your new icon is on the desktop

We will place this icon in two place...

One in your autostart folder (which provide a random background on startup)

And the other one will go in your applications folder (which will provide access to it through your accessories menu.)

Open your terminal and enter these commands

cd Desktop
cp randomwallpaper.desktop ~/.config/autostart
sudo mv randomwallpaper.desktop /usr/share/applications

Open up desktop session settings (preferences menu) and make sure the Random Desktop icon is checked if you want it to change your desktop background on startup.

Finally and important... create a folder named Wallpapers inside your Pictures folder and place your desktop backgrounds in there..

Now whenever your computer starts it changes the background and if you want to change it yourself you can select random wallpaper from the accessories menu and it will switch it instantly.

This is an excellent no memory usage, super easy wallpaper changer solution without involving complicated scripts or heavy programs.

Hope this helps someone else.

Ed