This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

upgrade firefox on zorin

johnh1211

Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:52:49 pm

Hello,
I received a message in Firefox saying "This version of Firefox is no longer supported". Version was 30.0
Zorin Software updater said everything was up to date. So I deleted Firefox and went to the Mozilla website and downloaded the new version for linux: firefox-33.0.2.tar.bz2
Per instructions I ran the following command in terminal: xjf firefox-*.tar.bz2.
Then I was able to run the new version by running this command in terminal: ~/firefox/firefox
And the new version loaded.
The mozilla site said: "You can then create an icon on your desktop to run this command."

Well, I was unable to create the icon to do this. And so I went to the Zorin Software Center and re-installed Firefox. And it installed the older version.

So, at that point, I could run the older version from the Zorin menu or the newer version from the command line.

Now, for some reason, when I go to terminal and run ~/firefox/firefox, it brings up the old version after displaying this error:
(process:28849): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "libunity-gtk-module.so"

Is there a way I can get the latest Firefox installed and run it from the menu or from a desktop icon?

thanks for your help!
john h

Linx

Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:05:43 pm

Try this!

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade firefox -y

However I would suggest updating everything
Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y

johnh1211

Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:56:08 pm

Thanks for responding.
I ran both statements.
Now, ~/firefox/firefox from the terminal brings up the latest version (33.0.3).
But selecting Firefox from the menu brings up the old version (30.0). How can I run the latest version without going to the terminal?

Swarfendor437

Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:35:50 pm

I suspect that why this happens is because you have had an upgrade rather than a 'clean install' - if you are not happy, open a terminal and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get purge firefox

Then go to mozilla.org and download the tar.bz2 file appropriate for your system (comes in 386 and 64-bit flavours - extract then compress to firefox-33.03.tar.gz - then install 'alien':

Code:
sudo apt-get install alien

then CD to the download from a Terminal window then:

Code:
sudo alien firefox-33.0.3.tar.gz

This should create a '.deb' file of the same name - install with Software Center or Gdebi Package installer if you have it.

zoro

Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:04:16 pm

johnh1211 wrote:Now, ~/firefox/firefox from the terminal brings up the latest version (33.0.3).
But selecting Firefox from the menu brings up the old version (30.0). How can I run the latest version without going to the terminal?

Hello johnh1211, I had the same difficulty but I found a work around. I uninstalled Firefox like you suggested then downloaded the latest version. However, the only way I could launch the new version was from Terminal (again the same way you were starting the browser). But I discovered that if I open the gear on the bottom right corner of the desktop and click on Zorin OS Help it opens Firefox 34.0.5 to this message board. It seems Firefox is running but not in Terminal. You might want to try that and see what version it opens for you.

Wolfman

Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:20:49 am

If you check your Software Sources Settings:, you should be able to install FF directly using the Software Manager (Synaptic)!.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Linx

Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:27:37 pm

Did you exit and restart firefox after the upgrade?

I'm running a live disk atm, and it worked for me.

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y

=[
Maybe just because I did a full upgrade.