This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] AWN things disappeared & control center half empty

Totolanio

Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:00:08 am

Hello,
I really dislike this bar taskbar, it crashed a lot, it's impossible to add a new applet and now time has disappeared and some other options (like sound volume).
If I put the info applet in the AWN settings it shows nothing.

bug.jpg

How can I easily change it or restore the time/date and the previous options ?

PS : about the sound setting which disappeared, I can't find it anywhere and the control center is a bit empty, is it normal ?

bug.jpg

Swarfendor437

Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:38:10 pm

Hi, Please follow my how-to here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7983

Totolanio

Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:05:22 pm

Hi Swarf the Lightbringer !

1. How do you uninstall these applets ? It only says "reinstall"

2. Also some time ago I installed pandora radio and it never worked (it says "The following Python modules could not be found: gtkmozembed. " well I could have try to find this module but it said "it might not work because of your distribution")

3. I asked this because I thought I already had these applets before, weird :P

Thank you

Swarfendor437

Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:31:48 pm

Hi,

In terms of the AWN, follow Wolfmans uninstall/reinstall guide in his post install guide here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2054

As for system settings (or is that 'Applications' on sound?) I would attempt 'dpkg' from second boot option from grub but then shut down (do NOT select continue) and do a reboot - also start synaptic package manager (Menu | System Tools | Administration) and see if there are any broken packages.

Also check that Update to latest version of Ubuntu is set to 'Never'.

You may want to follow my guide in sorting AWN Panel out here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7983

Totolanio

Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:43:55 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi,

In terms of the AWN, follow Wolfmans uninstall/reinstall guide in his post install guide here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2054

As for system settings (or is that 'Applications' on sound?) I would attempt 'dpkg' from second boot option from grub but then shut down (do NOT select continue) and do a reboot - also start synaptic package manager (Menu | System Tools | Administration) and see if there are any broken packages.

Also check that Update to latest version of Ubuntu is set to 'Never'.

You may want to follow my guide in sorting AWN Panel out here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7983

Ok I used synaptic to remove awn applet, thank you.
I also already used your guide ! Already thanked you

And for the dpkg what will it do please? If it breaks my zorin I'd prefer to stick with what I have currently

Swarfendor437

Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:40:19 pm

Hi, when you say you removed the applet you did NOT remove the whole panel did you? :(

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8589

Totolanio

Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:03:56 pm

No, why do you think that ? I said "applet" so I uninstalled one applet I installed :)
I didn't try to remove it and change because from my experience with Linux, everytime I try something new, it takes me days to tweak it and to fix bugs :'(

And for the dpkg what will it do please? If it breaks my zorin I'd prefer to stick with what I have currently

Swarfendor437

Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:46:27 pm

Hi, aware you did say applet - just wanted to be sure - phew!

dpkg is built into Zorin - basically if you have a broken package it looks for dependencies that are needed to repair it and you need an internet connection for this to work - if you have wireless, you may need to use a wired connection to your router just to be sure you get the fixes.

An easier way would be to use Synaptic, as it is graphical - go to 'Edit' and 'Fix Broken Packages' - the wired connection advice still applies if you have got a flakey wireless signal.

If things are 'stuck' and you can't resolve things:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7084&hilit=Kingsoft+Lottery&start=10#p33766

Totolanio

Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:03:13 pm

Ok thank you, this dpkg thing is interesting then.

But do you confirm this screenshot shouldn't look like that ? Do I really have to fix broken packages ? I'm a bit confused because I keep switching between two distributions.
download/file.php?id=3509&mode=view
it's the setting panels (system tools i guess) and there are only 5 options o_0 looks weird to me

Swarfendor437

Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:40:40 pm

Well, just another quick question - you did install using English language and then changed to French after?

If you do have 'broken packages' showing in Synaptic you will not be able to install updates until they are.

Totolanio

Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:27:47 pm

"Well, just another quick question - you did install using English language and then changed to French after?"

Maybe, I can't remember because I installed many times Linux :(
I guess yes though.

"If you do have 'broken packages' showing in Synaptic you will not be able to install updates until they are."

How can I know if a package is broken in Synaptic ?

Anonymous

Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:00:03 pm

Just like another other application [ Linux ] [ Windows ] [ Mac ]....a window [ opens ] giving you an error message !!!!

Totolanio

Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:22:37 pm

The control panel doesn't show an error but I think it lacks options/icons, if someone can compare with its own and tell me maybe ?

Swarfendor437

Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:45:52 pm

Could you upload a screenshot? ;)

Totolanio

Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:20:34 pm

Yes, the screenshot is here :

There are only Languages, Privacy settings, Printers, Firewall and Updates. And I feel like it's weird. I bet in Zorin 8 there were more but I can't remember if it's normal in Zorin 9, sorry (and I keep switching with another distribution so I'm confused).

Swarfendor437

Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:51:32 pm

No there should be more, and no change of what is in there - looks like a corrupt install to me - be sure to install in English and make changes after the install - not sure if it is like Windows that needs English US present even if your default language is something else. All I can think of - sorry! ;)

Totolanio

Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:45:14 pm

So i need to REINSTALL ?? :'(

Swarfendor437

Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:33:13 am

Well it is not looking good - you did not click on any 'partial upgrade' did you? :(

Totolanio

Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:03:14 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Well it is not looking good - you did not click on any 'partial upgrade' did you? :(

What does it mean ? I only make the updates I receive with the notifier.
Everything is working fine but this panel is semi empty lol

PS: that DPKG thing can't solve the problem .?

EDIT : ok wtf I can't start Synaptic now, i click on it in the menu but it does nothing, however if I start it as admin/root it works. So maybe that's a problem of permission. And I also had problems with permission with Lampp which I don't have on Lubuntu. I guess my user is too much restricted.

Swarfendor437

Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:06:30 pm

Hi, I am beginning to wonder if it is a hard drive issue - can you boot into second menu option in GRUB and choose 'Recovery/Advanced' and when you get to menu, run fsck (this is like chkdsk), then run dpkg then shut down NOT continue - the reboot - if still no joy suggests bad install but I would be tempted that you should download some HDD tool to check the state of your Hard Drive. ;)

Totolanio

Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:01:18 pm

Hi,
I just wanted to say I tried something :
I identified the program name (gnome-control-center) and i typed "sudo gnome-control-center" in the terminal to open it with full rights.
And there were every icons available, so it's a problem of privileges and rights on my main user.

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:45:56 pm

So can this thread be marked as [SOLVED]/[RESOLVED]? :D

Totolanio

Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:35:49 am

it was already by the time i posted this :P
Stop spamming Swarf :P

By the way I don't get how to give full rights to my user.

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:55:13 pm

I'm not sure of that one myself - those were the days when you could make a user as part of 1001 group.