This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin Menu partially hidden behind taskbar. [part solved]

zeta

Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:05:21 am

Software: Zorin os 9 ultimate
hardware: Asus 1015e

I believe the problem was first noticed when I hooked up an external monitor. The time and other options (right side of taskbar) dissapeared. system restart fixed that. Also all other windows now under taskbar to include power options and search bar of Zorin Menu. Off on looking for answer for days.

Thank You
-Zeta

Swarfendor437

Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:57:48 am

Hi try moving the panel to the top and back down again - if you still get this issue, please refer to the AWN section of Wolfman's excellent Post Install guide for 6/8 - it still applies to Zorin 9.

viewtopic.php?f=0&t=2054&p=8048&hilit=bottom+of+menu+hidden+by+AWN#p8048

Alternatively, you might want to see if this helps:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7983 ;)

zeta

Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:30:48 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi try moving the panel to the top and back down again - if you still get this issue, please refer to the AWN section of Wolfman's excellent Post Install guide for 6/8 - it still applies to Zorin 9.

viewtopic.php?f=0&t=2054&p=8048&hilit=bottom+of+menu+hidden+by+AWN#p8048

Alternatively, you might want to see if this helps:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7983 ;)

As for the first link, I foud it the other day and bookmarked it. Very Helpful. On this subject though, I am not sure how. I could not find anything concerning awn covering/hiding/overlapping/ect Zorin menu and or other windows. Which I would expect to have read Now that I believe it may have something to do with the features of the Look of Zorin Dark or Zorin Blue or even the AWN look of either. I wouldnt mind having a solid (dark) color AWN if that fixed the problem.
I want the Theme of W7 so having the awn at the top (which i did just to refresh everything) is not the goal.
As for the second link, I do not know what to change or download. Those were just applets, were they not?
A more Specific answer is required for this Noob.
currently;
Theme: Windows 7
Look: Zorin Blue
AWN look: Zorin Dark

Also the time section of the awn still dissapears upon recognizing an external (VGA tested) monitor. with cord connected a restart fixes that. But really!? i need to turn my system on and off (or restart) EVERY Time I choose to use an external monitor!?

P.S. anyone know how to remove the neon blue (or what ever color you would call it) trim/outline for the windows and AWN in Zorin Dark and Zorin Blue looks?

Thank You
-Zeta

Swarfendor437

Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:40:19 pm

Hi Zeta,

Another look at the menu issue - try this - right-click the panel at the bottom, select Preferences then go to the 'Applets Tab' - Look in the fake panel at the bottom of applets that replicates the position of all the applets - remove the 'ZorinMenu' applet, then add it once more.

You could always try installing Cairo-Dock DE and boot into that instead of Zorin (Default) DE, something like this?:

download/file.php?id=3356&mode=view

As for the blue-glow, that is in Compiz-Config Settings - take a look under 'Windows Decoration - you have to double-click the Windows Decoration Icon (not uncheck the box as you will lose close/maximise).

With Cairo-Dock I have two menus - my customised Neon in the picture launches the Windows 7 Menu and the Z at the Top uses 'YAMA' - I removed the annoying indicator 3 applet competely and downloaded the applets I needed in that post I referred to:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7983

Making the entire panel dark can be done yourself - Preferences (right-click of panel) and go to Themes tab and mess with the colours there. :D

zeta

Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:26:24 am

No Luck. I deleted then readded no change. I checked out the other applets and somehow THIS (included image) happened to my AWN I tried Yet another zoring menu I believe and it swithched everything centered and it wont undo it (i removed the applet NOTHING). I can factory reset the system which i am SERIOUSLY trying to avoid. especially since the root of the issue comes from adding and removing an external vga monitor.
How Can Something So Awesome Be So Difficult. I cant even solve the one issue now another issue happens. I wish i could just restart the system and it would go back.

I Really appreciate your assistance in this matter.
How can i get the awn to go back to how it was?

-Zeta

zeta

Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:46:36 am

I believe I may have solved one of the initial problems. Under Preferences ->Panel -> Behavior -> select Panel Mode. (what a relief)
Then as for new problem I could only partially fix. I added an Expander (an applet must have removed it from before) However, Now im stuck with the File Edit View History ect... far right. when firefox is up, then System Monitor when its not up. Appmenu Applet is the last thing on the list of my Active Applets.

Problem with monitor detection still Persists.

And changed "border color" of awn, but where is Compiz-Config Settings?

Thank You,
-Zeta

Anonymous

Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:51:54 am

[ Z ] > System Tools > Preference > Compiz

zeta

Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:01:06 am

Thank you for that. I Will research all the options in there. I clicked on the color and checked it off. Nothing, maybe i need to close all windows? ill try that lateIm getting options for whatever is open in the right side of my awn First it was the right side i managed to fix that by going into AWN settings and switching the Indicator 3 applet to the far right. Now the windows options or title shows up on the right.
Thank You so much so far.
-Zeta