This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How to get mack look on free edition

celldweller97

Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:35:21 pm

How can i uptain mac osx look on zorin os 9 core free edition ?

madvinegar

Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:25:58 am

Move the panel on the top, and download from the software center either "cairo dock" or "docky".

Henriolavi

Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:53:48 am

Hi
Additionally if you want to have entirely Mac outlook you have to change the window theme and icons to Mac style. You have to install Gnome tweak tool ie. from software center and then use terminal to add these themes to tweak tool. I suggest to use preferably Cairo dock to get better Mac outlook to the dock.

Here the needed terminal commands:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:noobslab/themes
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mac-ithemes-v3
sudo apt-get install mac-icons-v3

Then you can change the background to some Mac's background according to the theme you have. Here is Lion theme.

Then it looks something like this:

Mac OSX Lion.jpg

Swarfendor437

Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:51:36 pm

Nice post henriolavi! ;)

Henriolavi

Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:12:18 pm

If you want to use the newest themes to mac outlook which is the "Mac OSX 10.10 Yosemite" theme. Then the command lines to terminal are as follows.

Needed terminal commands:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mbuntu-y-ithemes-v4
sudo apt-get install mbuntu-y-icons-v4

After installation choose theme, icons and mac cursor from tweak tool.

Then the deksktop looks like this screenshot. Note that here is used the "Docky" dock and it has changed to "Yosemite-look" here.

Mac Yosemite themes.jpg

Top panel is hiding but visible here. It is more needed here due to there is not ie. menu or shutdown button in Docky like in Cairo dock. The backgroud is one of the "official" Yosemite theme backgrounds.

madvinegar

Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:20:39 pm

Your desktop has great resolution. It is very bright, clear and easily legible.

On another note, I cannot understand why apple is using this ugly dock in 10.10. The previous dock in 10.9 was much prettier. What do you think?

Henriolavi

Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:44:53 pm

I agree, ugly, but they had to just launch something new.

Additional to "Docky" here is few more background Yosemite-themes to that:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mbuntu-y-docky-skins-v4

Swarfendor437

Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:18:50 pm

Just too bad this is no longer available! :cry:

Screenshot 'Fall' for Pear - Naturally!.jpg

madvinegar

Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:18:00 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Just too bad this is no longer available! :cry:

They were saying that another company bought this project (like clementine ???) and they were going to revive it...
I wonder what happened...

Also, read this... http://www.itworld.com/article/2831201/ ... ar-os.html
and this: http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... tinuation/

On the other hand, elementary OS is just great as well. I wonder when the new edition (Freya) will be released.

Henriolavi

Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:39:47 am

To improve the Mac look and feel additionally, LibreOffice theme can be changed to "Sifr":

sudo apt-get install libreoffice-style-sifr

Then open "Libre office / Tools / View" and change to "Sifr"

Libre office sifr-theme.jpg

madvinegar

Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:52:41 am

Nice !!!!

Personally I prefer to use WPS office (Kingsoft). I think their inter-operability with Ms Office is better.

Henriolavi

Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:34:52 am

I think that here was almost all what can be done to get Mac "look and feel" to Zorin 9 free editions without problems. I tested these using Zorin 9 Edu. There are still some small things that are possible additions, like adding Mac fonts and changing the title bar buttons to left corner. I tried to find the place where to change buttons' location but did not find the solution. In the Gnome tweak tool there is "Titlebar buttons" under "Windows" but without any selection alternatives. I did not find that either from "dconf Editor". I think Madvinegar can have a solution how to do that?

Edit: I find the solution, buttons can be moved to left by using this command in terminal:

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences button-layout 'close,minimize,maximize:'

And finally all looks like Mac OSX 10.10 Yosemite , also the buttons

Mac OSX 10.10 Yosemite.jpg

If someone wants to use also Mac fonts those are here availlable:

wget -O mac-fonts.zip http://drive.noobslab.com/data/Mac-14.10/macfonts.zip
sudo unzip mac-fonts.zip -d /usr/share/fonts; rm mac-fonts.zip
sudo fc-cache -f -v

Then those can be changed from the tweak tool under "Fonts"

Swarfendor437

Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:52:56 pm

madvinegar wrote:
Swarfendor437 wrote:Just too bad this is no longer available! :cry:

They were saying that another company bought this project (like clementine ???) and they were going to revive it...
I wonder what happened...

Also, read this... http://www.itworld.com/article/2831201/ ... ar-os.html
and this: http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... tinuation/

On the other hand, elementary OS is just great as well. I wonder when the new edition (Freya) will be released.

Pear was sold to a well-known company (Ubuntu phone? :mrgreen: ) Clementine was to be the replacement but the music player software people claimed infringement of their software title! Even GPL gets it wrong at times! The project should be Klementine - but nothing has appeared apart from a dead (or appears to be) website - there is a facebook link and other blogs - and I don't participate in such sites! :D

Henriolavi

Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:38:18 am

Everything looks apples in Zorin now. Here is a new wallpaper candidate to "maczorin" in Gimb. :D

apples.jpg

I think all icons are not ready yet to Yosemite theme in macbuntu due to there came an update to day from updater to the "mbuntu-y-icons-v4" icons. I looked all icons from menu and there almost half of icons are still the same as earlier in Zorin 9 themes (that is not an error), everything else seems to be changed entirely to Mac in windows, dock, cursors, fonts and buttons.

Swarfendor437

Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:49:43 pm

Well, I think I will try and extract icons from that defunct OS and post back in due-course but other projects are more pressing! :D

Henriolavi

Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:41:40 am

Look also this added "How to" document

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8601