This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Something very strange happened today...

DaveI

Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:03:29 pm

So I woke up this morning and did my software updates...Much to my surprise it came back with it needed to do a PARITIAL DISTRIBUTION Upgrade and that a whole lot of modules would be replaced and the old ones would be deleted...OK...Went ahead and did it and then it said the obsolete modules would be deleted or I could keep them...Picked delete since they said they're obsolete...Done...Rebooted...
Uh oh...Started to see stuff not working in AWN...Then tried to go to System Settings...Guess what? No system settings!!!...
Well that's not good...Luckily I had just backed up to external drive before going to bed...A couple of minutes later everything is good again after restoring the previous night's image....So...I decided to try the software updates again...Guess what...This time I don't get the PARTIAL DISTRIBUTION Upgrade...Instead I just get a couple of updates (Mesa, Zorin Base)...Went ahead and did those and completed no problem...Rebooted and tried updates again and said I was up to date (Later updated with some more Zorin updates). What was this PARTIAL DISTRIBUTION upgrade that had completely screwed Zorin up and where did it go? It never resurfaced and I am now up to date after having done my image restore and a few Zorin Base updates...Very strange....I'm thinking one of the PPAs in my setup misidentified my system and tried to do an update that was not valid for my system...Anybody ever have something like this happen?

Swarfendor437

Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:42:36 pm

I vaguely remember seeing something like that in 4 - I guess there is some backend link to Ubuntu and with the recent release of 14.10 I guess that is what it was referring to - would advise you PM AZorin and zorink on this issue! ;)