This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Lexmark X5650 Issue

Ermak

Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:24:15 pm

I'm running Zonin 9 and am trying to install a lexmark Z5650 multifunction printer.

I go to the lexmark site and select the install for x5650 for linux OS, selecting the Ubuntu 10.04 installation file.
The site gives this url for downloading the proper driver; http://support.lexmark.com/index?docLocale=en_US&page=content&segType=driverSegmentLINUX_UNIX&id=DR20523&locale=EN&userlocale=EN_US

Once I download and unpack the tar.gz file I am left with the file lexmark-08z-series-driver-1.0-1.i386.deb.sh , which I double click and select the run in terminal option;

I first get this: See Lex5650_Step1.png
Lex5650_Step1.png
Step one after selecting run in terminal from a double click on she .sh file.

Second I get the installation dialogue:
Lex5650_Step1.png
Step one after selecting run in terminal from a double click on she .sh file.

All is well and good, until it asks me for the root password. I had to create a root password in order to get it to go past the step three:
lex5650_Step3.png
Step 3: Having to enter root password to install drivers.

I end up sitting on the installation page with nothing happening, I left it over night and returned to the same screen:
lex5650_Step4.png
Step 4: waiting for installation progress that never progresses.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I thought I had picked the wrong driver, but all other variants of Ubuntu are the same file.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give on this issue.

Swarfendor437

Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:01:46 am

Sadly, whilst earlier models of Lexmark might work under GNU/Linux, more recent printers tend to baulk at it! :(

Ermak

Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:34:47 pm

I have sucessfully installed on PCLinuxOS and Puppy (Ubuntu flavor), so I know this can be done. I am just missing a peice of the puzzle.

I have found several articals that seemed to offer help:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/130516/how-do-i-install-drivers-for-a-lexmark-x6675-printer

and even a direct .deb download http://www.mediafire.com/download/yowom7gh6vg4fzl/fixed-lexmark-1.0-1.i386.deb

However, the X5650 still sits like a stone and will not print from Zorn 9 :(

Swarfendor437

Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:03:38 pm

You did state in an earlier post of a driver for Ubuntu 10.10 - Zorin 9 is based on 14.04 and suggest that the current kernels may not support your printer. Most hardware drivers are embedded in the kernel and any out of date printers may not work. You could try a paid for solution that other forum members have touted in the past (and not for Lexmark) - Turbo Print - I don't have a link, sorry! ;)

Wolfman

Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:58:16 am

Hi,

try doing a full update (restart required) with the following terminal command and then try installing the printer again:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Ermak

Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:48:44 pm

The latest linux drivers for the printer are for 10.04.

The full update didn't make much differance, but I can now scanner function is now working.

Still not printing, go figure! lol

Ermak

Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:36:05 pm

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:13:31 pm

Hi Ermak, thanks for keeping us informed and sharing the solution - can this be marked as [SOLVED]? :D