This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Games menu is empty now...

ChiJoan

Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:20:08 am

I'm running Zorin Core 64-bit OS 9 on a Gigabyte motherboard with AMD dual-core CPU with 8 GB RAM...new updates via Synaptic didn't help either.

My other problem is the size of vertical lines for grabbing inside Firefox with my mouse inside Yahoo Webmail.

Please let me know if you need more info...

Thanks,
Joan in Reno

Swarfendor437

Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:41:17 pm

HI, the Games issue appears a bit obscure but check if 'Main Menu' ('alacarte') is somewhere in your Menu - this is to enable editing of the Zorin Menu - I understood that for other users this had been resolved with Zorin updates (I replaced ZorinMenu with GnoMenu [but did not 'uninstall' Zorin Menu]. With 'Alacarte' (aka 'Main Menu') you can edit the ZorinMenu subfolders - if Games is 'unchecked' ' check it - and it 'should' then appear in your menu. If 'Games' does not show up at all I would be tempted to run 'dpkg' after a reboot, choose 2nd item from GRUB menu at boot and ensure that you have a connection to the internet - if you normally use wireless, use a network cable connection to your router and run the menu item listed as 'dpkg' - after it has checked for any missing dependencies and installed any that are missing, do NOT select 'Continue' - shut-down and reboot.

With regards to your webmail this may be an issue with either Firefox or your webmail page - you could try one of the other browsers via 'Web Browser Chooser Manager' under 'Internet'. As a last resort you could also install 'gnome-color-chooser' via a Terminal Windows (Ctrl+ Alt+ T)
and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-color-chooser

Tutorial video here:

http://vimeo.com/89352123

:D

ChiJoan

Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:56:00 pm

Well I didn't find that menu thingy you mentioned. However, I'm glad my previous Zorin Core 64-bit, 8.1 most likely, since the Opera error thing pops up in Synaptic on updating...games are fine on it, but it's attached to my smart TV, so I use it sparingly. I already tried to fix Zorin 9 with the advanced repair, something like you talked about, fsck, and perhaps something else, with no changes.

I'm wondering if I should try adding Mate or LXDE core metapackage instead from Synaptic, I already removed Gnome screensaver completely and added xscreensaver instead.

I'll try Chrome, but not as a long-term cure, since PcLinuxOS Mate and LXLE on my other 32-bit towers, don't have the skinny vertical lines in Firefox or YahooMail. It helps to have choices, this PC with Zorin 9 used to have Mint Mate, but I couldn't find how to use other USB tools on it that I am used to from old Ubuntu Gnome 10.04, since I have a netbook that I need to burn Distros for.

Thanks for helping...
Joan in Reno

Henriolavi

Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:42:38 am

Hi

Look this viewtopic

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8107

"Alacarte" can not be used to edit "zorin menu" it should be " zorin-menu-editor".

Swarfendor437

Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:31:44 pm

Hi Henriolavi, much obliged for the correction. I'm having a different issue. Will post separately.

ChiJoan

Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:38:25 pm

I can't find this main menu choice, are you sure it's available on Zorin 9? I'm going to try LXDE core, since I can see the games are still there, just like this easy menu that you mentioned, but I guess it's corrupt somewhere. Maybe another gui tool will find them.

Joan in Reno

ChiJoan

Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:37:12 pm

LXDE got me back my games in the games sub-memu. It made no difference in the Firefox Yahoo vertical blue lines for up-down movement with my mouse. Maybe there's a setting in either LXDE or Openbox for those lines. One guy said I should've tried Ubuntu tweak, but last time I looked at that was years ago on Ultimate Linux, but didn't know how Zorin would've liked it.

I also lost my preferred onscreen keyboard, Onboard, so I tried Florence instead. Wonder how Zorin would like Mate, anyone try it...which file do I pick?

Thanks for your help...
Joan in Reno

ChiJoan

Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:57:28 pm

I added Chrome and the vertical lines were wider and easier to use. However, Florence keys are blank now, but it might've been trying to install Mate Desktop, which of course Zorin can't see as a choice. Now to remove those files and hope LXDE is repaired, I'm on Zorin default to test the games, which are still blank there.

Joan in Reno

Anonymous

Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:10:08 pm

Joan....Do me a favor and make several Screenshots for reference....so I can see exactly what you see.
This particular problem...I will keep in my data base for future reference.
These type problems were common with ZOS6 !!!!
The screenshots explain everything to me....that's why ask for multiple.
Zorin Menu Games
Zorin Menu Editor Games
Desktop

Anything relative to your problems with Zorin OS 9 !!!! :D :D

To see the the Zorin Menu Editor..... Games........
Right Click the [ Z ] Start Button > [ Edit ] > [ Games ] .......
Under normal view....the games of interest that you want to show up in [ Zorin Menu Games ] has to be checked [ Box ].

ChiJoan

Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:16:48 am

It refuses them as too large...what's the procedure?
Here are the screenshots: 1 of ?
Joan in Reno

ChiJoan

Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:21:56 am

Another shot...
Joan in Reno

ChiJoan

Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:38:05 pm

https://www.flickr.com/photos/50518808@N08/

I hope you can view and use these for helping other Zorin users.
Thanks,
Joan in Reno

Swarfendor437

Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:33:41 pm

If you want to install MATE you can do via Synaprtic Package Manager:

Screenshot Synaptic Mate1.jpg

Screenshot Synaptic Mate2.jpg

Just remember to choose the DE using the 'cog' at login time and here is my MATE desktop:

download/file.php?id=3390&mode=view

To upload a screenshot that is not too big follow my tutorial video here:

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v385833212XzmANbj

Anonymous

Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:41:01 pm

Joan I haven't forgotten you.
Have family over this weekend from three corners of the globe.
Post the exact Make/Model of your computer.

In the past from what I can remember from [ Datek ] experiences.
Zorin OS 6 related [ AMD CPU....Nvidia Graphics ]

Example the Zorin Menu was complete.
But soon as the [ Nvidia Graphic Drivers ] were installed things from the menu disappeared.
We had to manually put back the things that vanished.

I'll get back with you in time with more info...ideas. :D :D
Probably mid morning Sunday [ Eastern Time ] !!!!!

Something tells me that [ Graphics Drivers ] is the culprit.
Though sometimes I'm wrong.
But that's rare !!!! :lol: :lol:

Try removing graphics driver...then rebooting.
Won't hurt to try.
That is if your using any on the restricted.

Swarfendor437

Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:24:37 pm

Hi, Gizmntu, in respect of Menu items disappearinig this happened to Sound and Video when I installed Netflix workaround for Ubuntu 14.04 but then it came back! (Just thought I'd mention it for you to look at as well! ;) )

Regards to all your family! :D

ChiJoan

Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:51:22 pm

No proprietary or restricted drivers, no Netflix either. Haven't run any terminal commands or workarounds, just Synaptic installs and updates from.

Here's some more screenshots from Sysinfo:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/50518808@N08/

The motherboard is a GA-M51GM-S2G that I got with the CPU as a pull from another tech, it seems to have faulty SATA on the MOBO, and would not allow an add-on SATA PCI card...so the hard disk is IDE. I added an ATI 128mb PCI-E Radeon x300 VGA card.

Thanks,
Joan in Reno

Anonymous

Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:23:26 pm

Joan...Now that I've had a little time to review things to give you an honest suggestion to solve this problem.
Truthfully....there has been to many changes to your installation for me to know where to even begin.
My suggestion to you....is save your files.....and start from scratch with a fresh install.
Then update.....play around with all default only....that came with Zorin OS 9.
And tell me exactly what is....and what isn't [ working ].
Don't change....add......remove anything.
Other than the usual basic apps from [ Software Center ].
Everyone has to remember that Zorin OS is very delicate to unusual modifications.
To make things easier to understand !!!!
AZorin/ZorinK have to sort of add some [ Dale Earnhardt Tape ] to Zorin OS to finish the race.
That is to hold things together for it to keep working. :lol: :lol: [ Modified ]
If you do a new install.....I will tell you how to install the [ Mate or Cinnamon Desktop ] without complications.

Cinnamon Desktop Example : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8553

ChiJoan

Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:16:26 pm

Installed Zorin 9.1 Core 64-bit on a different hard drive...followed your suggestion to leave Synaptic alone...until my favorite games being Kshisen and Kmahgong (spelling?) wouldn't run, plus Pysol didn't have the extra large card sets installed.

Now on this hard drive where LXDE was added, the onscreen keyboard got away from me and the move button is off the screen, so I will be likely back-tracking to the Zorin 8.1 LTS update track, or try Mint Mate ChocolateMint-look, that I read about, or LXLE.

Oh, I found I have Zorin 8 installed on an HP dual-Xeon tower, even though I have to boot the USB SATA adapter attached hard drive with a PLoP CD due to the Open Firmware being out-of-date. I think Zorin, like you said needs some twinking for folks like me that like to melt apps from other desktop managers like in the old days.

Thanks,
Joan in Reno

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:45:54 pm

Now we are getting somewhere! :D

The first two games you mentioned are for the KDE desktop - hence the use of the letter 'K' in front of each game - Kshishen, KMahjong (Pysol is something else which suggests dependencies on Python language. With regards to the first two you might have to install KDE. From a terminal enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get install kde-desktop-full

Be warned - not sure if that is the correct name [kde-desktop-full] - you might be better searching for kde using synaptic package manager - which just might pick all those games up as well under kde-games. :D

With regards to Zorin 8 you should NOT be using it anymore as there are no more security updates for this release!!! You should only be using LTS releases of Zorin - either 6 or 9! :D