This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Caution about latest kernel upgrade 3.2.0-72

jojothehobo

Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:03:09 pm

I just installed the latest update. It included the new kernel 3.2.0-72 (3.2.0-70 was the last kernel, it worked fine), and the latest LibreOffice version. The LibreOffice version included about 590 MB of a LibreOffice- dbg package. I don't recall seeing one that big before. My base system is Zorin Ultimate 6 (Ubuntu 12.04). After completing the upgrade I was asked to reboot to complete the upgrade. That is when the anxiety started.

The system shut down and didn't respond at all. After three attempts and about an hour waiting the splash screen came up that asked which version to boot from. I tried the latest version. After about 5 minutes I got a log in screen. I then logged in and it took another minute or two to get my desktop up. Then it initially was a bit sluggish and, after a couple of minutes, returned to normal. The new LibreOffice booted faster than before after a slow first boot (around 6 seconds).

So my take away from all this is to have my system backed up for a full restore since it became non-responsive. Perhaps it was just taking time to complete the upgrade, but it sure had me concerned for a while.

all the best
Jojo

jojothehobo

Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:14:18 am

I consider this issue solved for two reasons. One is that it doesn't need an answer and the second is that no one has replied. So I am marking this reply solved. I will do the same to the original topic.

all the best
Jojo

Swarfendor437

Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:48:42 pm

Hi, I didn't feel confident to respond as not using 6 at present (but it does exist in a tower not currently in use).

My general advice like other moderators is that you should always keep your previous kernel that worked well in case of occurrences happening as you have reported - always show great care when you are advised to use 'autoremove' after a kernel upgrade - this also applies if you use 'Janitor' in 'Ubuntu Tweak'.