This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

My Zorin, questions/feedback inqieries

ogplayer

Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:51:30 am

Hello! I am ogplayer, A self taught coder, and I am just recently getting into Web Hosting, server managing/administering, etc and I am starting to monetize my business
About a month or two ago, I foolishly purchased a service from comodo, where their tech was suppose to give my windows 7 desktop a full clean; without ranting more, I will say it didnt end well. The tech dissapeared and my desktop crashed, more than twice. And then I screwed myself by freaking out, and installed ubuntu on my hard drive. which also formatted the hard drive, so I lost all my backup images for windows, etc

Needless to say, I came across Zorin while looking for an OS than is windows 7 basically, extremely happy I found it, making things smoother for my transition to linux, though I do get errors sometimes, usually I assume its because I am a self taught developer, I am currently hosting windows servers with desktop environment access for development purposes. Which brings me to my first issue, remote desktop access. every so often I might connect/disconnect from the RDP, and then suddenly not be able to connect to my servers, like someones blocking ports to mess with me. (probably not lol). I am wondering if there is a more stable RDP viewer client Zorin might use? This is a huge peev for me, I need access to my other desktops for work.

Another thing I am interested in learning about is security. How can Zorin claim No windows viruses? What kind of security does zorin have? Any other info you can give me about security?

Lastly, for now, would Zorin Educational version have any software I do not with Ultimate? I was thinking it might be worth a try as I am interested in learning everything there is to know. I would say I am close to a lv1 Technician, I plan to be lv3 Technician, Admin, etc

Swarfendor437

Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:24:28 am

ogplayer wrote:Hello! I am ogplayer, A self taught coder, and I am just recently getting into Web Hosting, server managing/administering, etc and I am starting to monetize my business
About a month or two ago, I foolishly purchased a service from comodo, where their tech was suppose to give my windows 7 desktop a full clean; without ranting more, I will say it didnt end well. The tech dissapeared and my desktop crashed, more than twice. And then I screwed myself by freaking out, and installed ubuntu on my hard drive. which also formatted the hard drive, so I lost all my backup images for windows, etc

Needless to say, I came across Zorin while looking for an OS than is windows 7 basically, extremely happy I found it, making things smoother for my transition to linux, though I do get errors sometimes, usually I assume its because I am a self taught developer, I am currently hosting windows servers with desktop environment access for development purposes. Which brings me to my first issue, remote desktop access. every so often I might connect/disconnect from the RDP, and then suddenly not be able to connect to my servers, like someones blocking ports to mess with me. (probably not lol). I am wondering if there is a more stable RDP viewer client Zorin might use? This is a huge peev for me, I need access to my other desktops for work.

Try TeamViewer or VNC - if you require to share windows files you will need to include Samba and ensure CIFS is running/installed properly: http://www.howtoforge.com/samba-server-ubuntu-14.04-lts

Another thing I am interested in learning about is security. How can Zorin claim No windows viruses? What kind of security does zorin have? Any other info you can give me about security?
Well there have been issues with Steam - please search for viruses and Steam on this forum to see my posts - what we need to be aware as users is that it is not necessarily the shell that is vulnerable bu t applications - witness 'bleeding heart bug' and 'BASH (Bourne Again SHell - used for Terminal!) bug, and more recently SSL3 POODLE bug in browsers - cross-platform issue

Lastly, for now, would Zorin Educational version have any software I do not with Ultimate? I was thinking it might be worth a try as I am interested in learning everything there is to know. I would say I am close to a lv1 Technician, I plan to be lv3 Technician, Admin, etc
The Education version of Zorin can be likened to Edubuntu on which it is loosely based with most applications being amed at elementary/Primary school level - there are some high-school/secondary school apps such as Kalzium (periodic table) which was primarily witten for KDE as opposed to Gnome - the latter is what Zorin is based on - Education is not about Programming or Learning about GNU/Linux - and yes there are applications that are not in Ultimate but you can add these via Synaptic - just do a search for 'Education' and see what returns - or use Software Center/re if you are happier using that