This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[MOVED] New to Lunix (Zorin 9.1 core) NEED HELP

sgttye

Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:08:45 am

Ok I'm pretty much new as it gets so I have been watching many youtube vids to get zorin on my virtual server but im running into the problem of its not allowing me to run it without have it on a disk (which i dont have a disk drive on my laptop). And I was reading up that i could use a usb, so i downloaded usbinstaller thew pendriveulinux.com and a few others and i keep getting anywhere from 200 to 300 errors during the download onto the usb. So when i go to run the usb on the virtual server it says error no medium found. Any advise would be much appreciated. Thanks.

FYI this is what i keep getting.

Failed to open the optical disk file F:\zorin-os-9.1-core-64.iso.

Could not get the storage format of the medium 'F:\zorin-os-9.1-core-64.iso' (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED).

Result Code: VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80BB0005)
Component: Medium
Interface: IMedium {05f2bbb6-a3a6-4fb9-9b49-6d0dda7142ac}
Callee: IVirtualBox {fafa4e17-1ee2-4905-a10e-fe7c18bf5554}
Callee RC: VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80BB0001)

This is what i get with both a USB and straight from my download folder.

Swarfendor437

Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:47:23 pm

When you downloaded the .iso you did so from sourceforge? You used Firefox or Opera (12.16)? You did not use a download accelerator manager? You checked the md5sum of the downloaded image for any errors?
There is an option not readily accessible in latest VBox releases to run machine from an .iso which is the best way for you to proceed. Please be aware that the How-to section is solely for members of the forum to provide guides - not ask questions! ;)

sgttye

Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:06:01 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:When you downloaded the .iso you did so from sourceforge? You used Firefox or Opera (12.16)? You did not use a download accelerator manager? You checked the md5sum of the downloaded image for any errors?
There is an option not readily accessible in latest VBox releases to run machine from an .iso which is the best way for you to proceed. Please be aware that the How-to section is solely for members of the forum to provide guides - not ask questions! ;)

When I downloaded Zorin 9.1 got it from the zorin website and the usb program from sourceforge. And I used google Crome. and how do I check if the md5sum downloaded correctly? I truly am a noob when it comes to this stuff. I'm more then willing to take this down if you send me what I need in a pm.

Swarfendor437

Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:36:16 pm

Hi, due to web filters in place I cannot give you the link to my tutorial video - go to veoh.com, search for 'swarfendor437' then from within my uploaded videos look at winmd5sum check - if using Windows you need to download winmd5free from http~://winmd5.com - if you downloaded to a GNU/Linux installation, you navigate to the downloaded iso via a terminal window (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and navigate to your downloads folder:

Code:
cd Downloads

then once there:

Code:
md5sum [name of iso exactly as the file name states]

then wait 30 seconds or so for the result to come back. :D

sgttye

Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:57:14 pm

Ok I checked the md5sum and it did not match so I will download it again and hopefully it works better this time thanks.

Ok got it up and running now. But I have a problem its is a low rez/ pixel rez. And i have tried to get it to go to full screen many times with many codes in the terminal and got nothing. Any suggestions?

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:36:00 pm

When you boot to GRUB, press the Tab key or E key to edit the boot commands - you should see some terminal commands - at the end add:

Code:
acpi=off

if still no joy - enter the same again, plus

Code:
xforcevesa

Keep us posted! ;)