This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How do I use the forcepae setting when installing Zorin 9

jimwm65

Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:47:32 am

I have a thinkpad t42p with a Pentium M processor. I've found instructions for installing Ubuntu on it using a forcepae parameter. How do I do that with Zorin?

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:56:13 pm

What is the procedure for Ubuntu? Zorin is a 'fork' of Ubuntu.

jimwm65

Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:40:21 pm

Here are the instructions.

Workaround 4: Ubuntu 12.04.5 and 14.04 (or later) on Pentium M only
• Ubuntu 12.04.5 and 14.04 support an option ("forcepae") to enable PAE on Pentium M CPUs (where it is disabled by default). To enable it:
• Boot the 32-bit Ubuntu (or Xubuntu etc.) installer
• When the image of the keyboard and little man in circle appears hit the Tab key
• "Choose your language" popup appears. Use the cursor keys and hit the Enter key to choose your language
• Press F6, a grey menu will popup with some boot options
• Press escape to close the window
• You will now see a line that says:
Boot Options file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash --
Edit this line and add the forcepae parameter to the end:
Boot Options file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash -- forcepae
• Hit the Enter key, hopefully Ubuntu will boot and the rest of your install will be successful. If you have graphical problems with Unity, or just find it slow, try a more lightweight distribution like Xubuntu.

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:48:56 pm

You can edit the boot parameters of Zorin the same way but I suspect that 9 is non-pae (32-bit) so all I can say is give it a try - NO GUARANTEES! i have never had an issue with pae as the majority of the machines I have built hold AMD processors - pae is specifically aimed at newer Intel processors. :D

Linx

Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:14:46 pm

PAE is also really only used it you have more than 4GB of RAM.

So if you don't have more than 4GB of RAM there is no need for PAE (assuming were talking about Physical Address Extension)