This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 9 Education will not shutdown

ckav8r

Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:28:10 pm

This is my first post on the forum.
I'm familiar with Linux, but not an expert by any means. My old HP will not shutdown. It closes the desktop. The blue screen appears with the "Z". The "Z" then fades. The blue screen never shuts down. Nor does the power. The Live version worked perfectly. I did have to turn off ACPI during use of the live version and also during the installation of the OS. I had the same problem others have had using an Athlon 64 x2 processor (desktop screen did not finish loading and there was no mouse pointer.
I have tried running the command
"sudo shutdown now -h" in terminal. It does exactly the same thing.
I have played with Ubuntu since 9.04 Netbook Remix
My system
HP Pavilion a1630n
AMD Athlon 64x2 4600+
1.9 GB DDR2 (soon to be 4GB)
NVIDIA Geforce 6150 LE+ onboard graphics
PCI Wifi card
Dual Boot Windows XP/ Zorin 9 Education
Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Swarfendor437

Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:00:31 pm

Do you have 'sleep/hibernation' enabled? This might be an issue - try turning these all to off and see if things improve - keep us posted! ;)

ckav8r

Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:57:11 pm

I tried to find sleep/hibernate and only could find suspend which is set to never. No change.
I am also running 64 bit version. Hoping for the additional ram to arrive today. I would love to give you some screenshots, but I can't seem to get the pictures into this window. It only pastes the file location.
I took a picture with my ipad that I would like to paste here. How do I do it?
I installed Kazam, this is all I get.
/home/chris/Pictures/photo.JPG
Thank you for your quick reply

ckav8r

Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:31:41 pm

file:///home/chris/Desktop/photo.JPG

Got it.