This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] Unable to empty trash: Parse error:

fredixalation

Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:22:54 am

Hello,
I let my OS disc fill up, and now cannot empty the trash folder. I've used the CLI Trash app, command, 'trash-list', which found all the trash files, and which were preceded with error messages: "Parse Error; ...... and concluded at end of file path and name with Unable to parse Path"

The 'empty-trash' or 'trash-empty x' [ where x=days since file/s placed in trash folder] commands do not work, which I think, bearing in mind my lack of knowledge, relates to the above mentioned Parse error.
I am running a 32 bit version of Zorin 8, on an Itel Core 2 Quad machine, with 4 Gb RAM. The OS hard drive is a solid state device of 128 GB capacity.

Things are getting a bit desperate, as there is very little space available on this drive, and any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Swarfendor437

Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:05:43 pm

Hi, for security reasons, you should no longer be running Ziorin 8 - I would back up all your data from your /home folder (remembering to press 'Ctrl+ H' to view hidden files and download and install Zorin 9 which is a Long Term Support release - just like Ubuntu 14.04 on which it is based. ;)

fredixalation

Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:17:23 am

Thanks for that. Just one thing, at risk of appearing obtuse, if I were to back up the Home directory, and then restore it to the new upgrade, would the Trash folder with its immovable contents be again there to plague the new installation? Alternatively, can I somehow back up the Home directory, and not include the Trash folder? I think the problem arose from the back up utility "Duplicity", which I used before reading some very cautionary negative feedback, that warns one and all to not go anywhere near that program. (grrrr).

Swarfendor437

Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:45:25 pm

I would open /home, press Ctrl+ H to show all .hidden files/folders then browse to which folder trash is in (Desktop?) then once you know where it is, copy all other folders to an external drive prepared with a folder called home - copy all other folders into your backup then create a 'Desktop' folder and just drag everything but trash into there! ;)

fredixalation

Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:43:34 am

I tried that. the files can't (couldn't be moved/deleted/copied - neither could the entire folder for that matter) However, I've manually backed up most of my (good) files, deleted the Ext4 partitions, downloaded Zorin 9, and now have most things working again.
I think my lesson from this saga, is to keep a close watch on free space; I will treat myself to a large, ~ 0.9 Tb. SSD sometime later next year, when despite potentially unfavorable changes to the foreign exchange rate looming by then, I expect "Moores Law" to assist by further dropping the cost of disc drives.

Thanks for your help, and for continuing the work on this nice OS.
Merry Christmas.