This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

DVD drive disappears after install

snydley100

Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:56:14 am

I have a Lenovo Ideapad Y710 that originally had Vista on it, I
formatted the HDD and installed Windows 7 64 bit on it. Everything works
great with that. I installed Zorin, so I
could dual boot, and after the install, and I reboot, the DVD is no longer "shown" in Zorin's file
manager , or in Windows Explorer or Control Panel > Device Manager, IT
JUST DISAPPEARED! I then booted into Windows, removed the Linux
partition, rebooted the laptop with the Windows 7 DVD, and "repaired"
the OS from the command line, (bootrec.exe/fixmbr). I rebooted the HDD
and the DVD drive reappeared and everything is normal with the laptop
again, except I'm stuck using Windows. I've installed, and removed Zorin
3 times with the same results, so it's not a 1 time "glitch". I also use
this same dual boot setup on an Alienware 14 laptop and the DVD drive is
"shown" and works normally, with that.
With Zorin, and Grub, installed on the Lenovo I can boot into either OS
successfully, and use the OSs normally , except there is then no DVD
drive in either OS.
I believe there is something in Grub's config that is conflicting with
the DVD drive, but I don't know what, or how to fix it. I'm wondering if
it's something with ACHI, but I'm not sure what. Also, when booting the
laptop from the Zorin LIVE CD, the "install Zorin" icon is on the desktop,
and if I go to the file manager > computer > media > cdrom, the files on
the LIVE DVD are shown. From all of this, I believe it's Grub that is
interfering with the drive
Can anyone help?
Thanks

Swarfendor437

Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:17:50 am

Follow my tutorial vid - you need never worry about your Windows mbr again! ;)

http://vimeo.com/110085401

snydley100

Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:09:36 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Follow my tutorial vid - you need never worry about your Windows mbr again! ;)

http://vimeo.com/110085401

Thanks for the video. I wasn't able to understand the voice very well, so I went to the Easy BCD website and downloaded and installed it according to their instructions.
That fixed the disappearing DVD problem in Windows, but when I installed Zorin afterwards, set Zorin up in BCD, and rebooted into Zorin, the DVD drive was missing again. To try and fix it, I edited Grub, (gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub), and inserted "acpi=off", in the line: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" like this:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash".
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi=off"
That gave me my DVD back in Zorin, but when I shut down in Zorin, it goes to a text screen, and the last line says reboot:shutdown, and it hangs, I have to press the power key to completely shut the computer down.
This leads me to believe there is an ACPI "problem" with this laptop and Zorin. I'm pretty sure that putting the "quiet splash" in that config line probably isn't where it should go, but I don't know where else to put it, or what the proper syntax is to include "acpi=off" in Grub.
One other small problem. When I boot into Zorin from the Windows menu, it goes to the Grub menu and I have to hit "Enter" to start Zorin. Do you know if there's a way to go directly to Zorin from the Windows multi-boot menu , bypassing Grub?
Thanks

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:03:36 pm

If you cannot understand 'Gespeaker' which is what I used in the video, just mute the sound and watch it in its entirety, making notes while you watch it! ;)

I would remove Zorin and do a fresh install, repair your Windows mbr and start afresh; following my video guide - it is vital that you mark the beginning of the partition that holds '/' as the place to put the Zorin bootloader (GRUB). The video is quite clear on what you need to do! :D

You may also like to look at Matthew Moore's video on YouTube - I put the reference to it on dual-booting on here.

snydley100

Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:38:19 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:If you cannot understand 'Gespeaker' which is what I used in the video, just mute the sound and watch it in its entirety, making notes while you watch it! ;)

I would remove Zorin and do a fresh install, repair your Windows mbr and start afresh; following my video guide - it is vital that you mark the beginning of the partition that holds '/' as the place to put the Zorin bootloader (GRUB). The video is quite clear on what you need to do! :D

You may also like to look at Matthew Moore's video on YouTube - I put the reference to it on dual-booting on here.

I guess I must have missed something in it, I have the attention span of an A.D.D. gnat