This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

GUI Problems

compute426

Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:09:10 pm

Hi,
I've been trying to make something useful out of an old Dell Dimension 4550 that I have lying around and so decided to install Zorin. I used the DVD to install onto the HDD and everything went perfectly. When it started up, the login screen appeared properly, but after logging in it just had a blank black screen with a white cursor. I followed Wolfman's first post in this thread: http://zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5984, but now I get exactly the same, except instead of black, the blue default desktop background with the 'Zorin OS' logo stays, but is still empty of anything else. Also, the glowing white 'Z' logo boot animation has now been replaced with 'Zorin OS 9 ....' in boring white text.

Does anyone know what I should do?

Wolfman

Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:33:07 am

Hi,

start in recovery mode and run "DPKG" per this guide, make sure you use a "Network Cable" otherwise it won't work!:

See the very first section here: (System Update:)

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

compute426

Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:45:10 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've run DPKG, then rebooted and run it again. Nothing has changed.

Any other ideas?

(ps. I've looked around on the internet and I think that my graphics card (GeForce4 MX 420) might too old to be supported by nvidia-current. Could that be the problem?)

Swarfendor437

Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:40:36 pm

At boot time, press your Tab key (or E for Edit) to edit the bootsplash screen to amend the launch code and add the following commands:

Code:
acpi=off nomodeset xforcevesa

Keep us posted!