This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

folder password

obie67

Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:55:48 pm

Is it possible to password protect an entire folder in Zorin OS 9?

Swarfendor437

Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:58:50 pm

obie67

Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:51:45 pm

Thanks. The second & third links look like they deal with disks. I just want to protect a folder on USB drive. The first link looked like it was the right thing, but the "other options" where I could put a password did not light up to be accessed. It will compress, but without the option to put in a password.

Swarfendor437

Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:38:08 am

The compression element will depend on extension type:

Password supported compression file extensions:

.7z, .cbz, .exe, zip

.7z also has the additional options of encrypting the list of files and splitting into different volumes (spanning):

22.jpg

obie67

Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:44:08 pm

Thanks. I tried this, but it seems Archive Manager is what has to be used to open it, it is very cumbersome, and once opened I think I would have to delete what has been extracted if I want to keep others from seeing the list of files, etc. I really want to have a password that has to be used to see the contents of the folder and open it, and once I am done and close the folder, it goes back to needing a password again. I want the folder to act like a password protected file. Better yet, it would be nice if a whole USB thumb drive would require a password and act like an individual file that is password protected. :-)

obie67

Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:13:56 pm

OK, I think it will work. I can use "extract here" and the thing opens. The drawback is that I will have to move the folder files extracted to the trash after each use, and if I modify any of them I will have to create a new compression and delete the old. But I think it is workable for me until something better comes along. Thanks!

Anonymous

Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:47:10 pm

obie67

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:32:09 pm

Thanks Gizmuntu... didn't know you had put this up because email notification apparently went into spam folder. There's a lot to look at in that link.