This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Remove multiple versions of linux and keep Windows

zio

Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:02:08 pm

I have zorin 8, another version of linux and Windows on my PC. I would like to install Zorin 9, remove all versions of linux and and keep windows. I no longer have the windows cd. What is the best procedure to use?

Swarfendor437

Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:05:18 pm

Hi, First backup all your data from all your OS's that are crucial then, boot into Window and create a System Repair Disc - just enter System Repair Disc in your Windows 7 Menu (I am assuming you are using 7). Test the repair disc that it works.

Also you may like to download a genuine version of Windows - you must have the CoA (Certificate of Authenticity) somewhere on a sticker on the machine:

http://superuser.com/questions/78761/wh ... -microsoft

Then boot with your repair disc and choose the command boot options for repair and enter:

Code:
bootrec.exe /fixmbr

then

Code:
bootrec.exe /fixboot

This will restore your Windows MBR (Master Boot Record) - to keep this intact when installing Zorin 9 follow my video tutorial here:

https://vimeo.com/110085401 :D

zio

Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:56:32 pm

I solved the problem by pure luck. First let me give a little background. I had a hard drive with about 6 major partitions. I'll call them partitions 1 to 6 for ease of this description. Partition 1 contained windows XP and associated files. Partition 2 contained some old data files left over from windows. Partition 3 contained Zorin 8. Partition 4 contained an old linux partition. Partition 5 contained my important data files and partition 6 contained linux-swap. I backed partition 5 and here it goes.

I thought that I should get rid of partition 2. So I booted into Gparted and deleted this partition and left it as unallocated space. Then I tried to boot the PC. It would not boot and only showed the terminal prompt Grub rescue. It seems that I destroyed the grub allignment of partitions. So, I thought I might as well just install Zorin 9 as the only operating system while keeping my important data files and still keep the windows partition in the slim hope that it would be recognized by Zorin 9 installation. However, before I started I thought that I might as well combine the other partitions. So, I went back into Gparted and removed partitions 3, 4 and 5 and created a new extended partition.

I then booted from the Zorin 9 DVD and it recognized that there was another operating system on the hard drive and I chose the option to install Zorin 9 along side of it. To my amazement it worked perfectly. I was able to boot into windows with no problem, Zorin 9 works fine and all of my important data remains available.

What a way to end the year.

zio

Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:07:59 pm

Correction to previous message. I deleted partitions 3 (Zorin 8), 4 (old linux) and 6 (linux swap). So, before installing Zorin 9, there were only two major partitions remaining. One contained Windows XP and one containing my important data files.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:24:49 pm

So can this thread be marked as [SOLVED]? :D