This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

It does not work with business pc. Too much graphics

doushabu06

Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:55:01 am

I use my pc with windows 7 and it works very well and fast and yet it's just a simple business pc with not much hardware. I tried running the ziron os 9 core 32 bit with it but it's so slow and overpowering on my computer. I usually do everything with windows 7, even 3d gaming like gta sa, mafia, far cry, video editting, gimp etc. and it runs very fast but my problem is malware and viruses on windows so that's why I am trying ziron. I have tried other linux distros but they have a very uncommon interface and I don't have the time to start learning other interface like a course. My system is a 32 bit (Intel Pentium4 2.25 ghz), 1.2GB ram, 40GB HDD and a onboard GPU of 64 mb. Why don't you include the graphics requirements in your minimum requirements in order to save people time and energy in installing such a heavy os. Is this designed for high power video game PCs or what. Even vista works on my system like a piece of cake. I am very glad i didn't buy the premium zorin because I'd have wasted my money.

Swarfendor437

Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:47:53 am

OK, did you only try Zorin in Live mode only? in which case it will be slow, and the fact you have onboard graphics will also take away from the amount of usable RAM you have - 40 Gb is not really a big enough drive if your intention is to dual-boot Windows and Zorin. As far as the graphics issue is concerned try amending the boot commands by pressing F6 and choosing 'acpi=off' and see if that makes a difference. The other element that will slow things down is Compiz - you should not remove it but disable effects using CompizConfig Settings Manager - that should speed up things no end! ;)

Linx

Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:56:27 pm

At the login screen there is a Zorin symbol next to the username, click on that and there should be an option that says "no effects". Try running that and you should see a notable difference in performance. In addition to this, what graphics are you using? You may need to install AMD/NVIDIA Drivers before the computer will run properly.

I have ran Zorin on a computer with nearly identical specs as the machine you have so I know it can run. (I don't have the model number as I sold it to someone as a server)

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:51:37 pm

I would avoid nVidia drivers as the colour goes out the window - you are better sticking with the de 'facto' GNU/Linux Nouveau drivers as far as graphics is concerned! :D

doushabu06

Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:40:35 am

Like I sayed my graphics card has 64 mb memory. That's impossible to run this even with compiz off. My graphics is Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller. Here is a complete specs

INTEL(R) EXTREME GRAPHICS REPORT

Report Date: 01/08/2015
Report Time[hr:mm:ss]: 13:34:16
Driver Version: 6.14.10.4544
Operating System: Windows NT* 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
Default Language: English
DirectX* Version: 9.0
Physical Memory: 1271 MB
Min. Graphics Memory: 8 MB
Max. Graphics Memory: 64 MB
Graphics Memory in use: 8 MB
Processor: x86
Processor Speed: 2258 MHZ
Vendor ID: 0x8086
Device ID: 0x2562
Device Revision: 1

* Output Devices Connected to Graphics Accelerator *

Active Monitors:1

Zorin os lite 9 32bit works very well on my pc but the problem is the accesibility options are not available like in Lubuntu. I usually require large graphics in order not to strain my eyes. But what about previous versions of Zorin such as 8 or 7? Can they work on my system? Plus I'm used to large screen items using windows 7 large screen items settings and cleartype text. Does zorin have such options?

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:51:34 pm

8 Mb is very low - can you not get into your BIOS and increase the amount of RAM allocated from your onboard graphics to the full 64 Mb? :D

As for accessibility I am not sure on Zorin Lite - will need to have a look at VM I have running on Deepin Hard Drive. You may fare better with LXLE - the downside to it is that it is only available on Torrent but it too is a Lubuntu derivative and on a fast machine is very fast.

http://lxle.net

As regards accessibility in general, the real culprits are the Gnome Project who now integrate Accessibility into the desktop without tweaks available in respect of screen reader.
To bring your font size up-to-date, see if you can install 'gnome-tweak-tool' in a terminal window and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-tweak-tool
- I appreciate that this is for gnome and not LXDE but see if it will run - their is a font scale factor in the interface. :D

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:32:48 pm

Ok, ran Zorin Lite as Virtual Hard Disk in Virtual Box on Oz-Diamond BII install with no issues at all with YouTube:

32.jpg

So it must be a graphics card issue.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:18:38 am

OK, further update and clarification - you should not be running Zorin 7 or 8 as they were development releases like the versions of Ubuntu they were based on - they are no longer supported - you could try Zorin 6 - Long-Term Support until April 2017. With regards to scale of fonts in Zorin Lite you will need to install 'dConf Editor' via the terminal - Menu | Accessories | Terminal and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get install dconf-tools

You won't find it in the menu but have to launch via terminal:

Code:
dconf-editor

Then get to here to change the scale factor - try 1.5 at first then 2 and so on:

45.jpg

DON'T click on 'Set to Default' - this is not a save setting but will take the text-scale factor back to 1.0

You may also like to take a gander at Wolfman's post-install guide here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4835