This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] WIFI problems

SiLeNcEbOnE

Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:01:51 am

Hi,

I'm new to Zorin OS but have some experience with other linux distro's

So basicly setup is a old HP g60 200 notebook.
My problem is "Wifi is disabled by hardware switch"

iwconfig gives me this

"eth0 no wireless extensions.

lo no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:off/any
Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=off
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Management:off"

"sudo rfkill list" gives me this

"0: phy0: Wireless LAN
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: yes"

OS is completely updated, no "windows wireless drivers" installed, only ethernet works, I tried "windows wireless drivers'" and it did install as it should however it completely disabled wifi after restart, the wifi button was red, was blue before, reinstalled the OS and the button is now blue colored and still is..
at one point after updating by running these commands "sudo apt-get update" and "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade"
the wifi actually worked by creating a new network.. the wifi was working fine untill i restarted to check if it would come back on but it didn't and been stuck there ever since... Now I know "Hard blocked" means it's probably the wifi button being in "off position" but it is just a push button on the notebook and the wifi does not turn "on".. not even how many times i press it... I did remove the ethernet cable before trying pushing the button but no luck...
Even when pushing the button the color doesn't change either.. On windows Red colored would mean it's off and Blue means it's on.

Hope anyone can help me out...

madvinegar

Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:35:54 am

Hi. First of all go to your bios settings. Look for an option that refers to wireless and set it to "enabled" or "ON". Then boot to Zorin and see if that helped.

If it did not help, please post back the results of the following terminal commands, just to get an idea about your wireless card.

lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
lsusb
sudo lshw -c network
sudo rfkill list all
lsmod

SiLeNcEbOnE

Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:10:09 pm

I figured it out, as soon as it boots up I have to press the wireless button and just wait a bit and it turns on.
If I wait a little longer it won't turn on anymore and I would have to restart...
But it works fine now..

But thanks tho for trying to help.