This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Parental Controls

LinuxBuster

Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:23:27 pm

Hello to all!

Does anybody know of any good parental controls for Zorin? That's the only reason I haven't switched over yet. Something that can block and filter websites based on a whitelist or a content filter. And also that takes something other than the root password to modify or uninstall. Or a software that will enforce a proxy server would work also. I've got connections... Will I have to build my own????

Any help or suggestions would appreciated greatly!

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:48:35 pm

The easiest way is to sign up for a free OpenDNS account where you can sign in and use 'de facto' types to block or 'personalise' sites you want to exclude - your router needs to have its DNS settings changed to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220. Then in Neworks, when you edit your connection, select the IPv4 tab and change from 'DHCP' to 'DHCP addresses only' from the drop-down list. Then in the DNS Server box enter:

:D

I think that Net Nanny did a version for Linux if you prefer a 'paid for' version - it was one app that Mint used to push. ;)

LinuxBuster

Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:00:11 pm

Thanks for the suggestions!

Unfortunetely I've already checked out the OpenDNS option unfortunetly doesn't look like it will do what i want it to.

I'll be contacting Nanny as soon as possible and see what they've got.

Feel free to keep throwing out the suggestions!

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:52:44 pm

Well if you have got the cash you could build GNU/Linux server either Ubuntu or CentOS and create rules on that! :mrgreen:

LinuxBuster

Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:37:07 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Well if you have got the cash you could build GNU/Linux server either Ubuntu or CentOS and create rules on that! :mrgreen:

Better yet I'll build an actual filter and sell it!!! ;) I'm toying with the idea... Not a professional programer, work in the support field, but I do know some Jave and once I master that I'll have a bounce board to jump off of...