This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Taskbar

TurtleDan

Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:33:55 pm

When I use the taskbar at the top of the screen, the running programs appear below the taskbar and not on top of it, as it does when ya have the bar at the bottom.
Is there a way to correct this?

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:08:04 pm

I think the only way is to move the task bar to a different position and then back to where you had it - you could also see if things improve by using GnoMenu instead of ZorinMenu:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7983

With GnoMenu you also are able to get the 'Windows' key to launch the Menu! ;)

TurtleDan

Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:11:41 am

That isn't what I was refering to.

When you go to the Taskbar properties, you choose where to put the taskbar. That works, but when I have it at the top, as mentioned before, the running programs item is under the taskbar, not on top. I am posting a picture to show what I am talking about.

Also it is quite difficult to select the running program.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:35:27 am

Have you tried 'Intellihide' or 'Window dodge' in preferences? Reduce the icon size from 35 to 30? :D

31.png

TurtleDan

Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:50:05 am

Yes I have tried that and no success.

Don't ask how it happened, I cannot say, but chuckle.
Here is how the Start Menu looks now (I took two to show that it is the same top and bottom):

You will notice that the top with my name is now at the bottom, and "Applications", "Logout", and "Power" are at the top. This was corrected when I went into "Look Changer" and re-loaded the XP Look. Just thought I would show it since it is a glitch.

I am gonna keep the taskar at the bottom until they fix the taskbar. I really prefer it at the top.

A side note. This is a glitch with the "XP Look". When using "Windows 7 look" there is no problem with the taskbar. I just don't like the Start Menu setup. For me it is way too annoying to use.

Wolfman

Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:11:10 am

Hi TD,

you can re-install AWN with the following command and see if things return to normal:

Code:
sudo apt-get purge avant-window-navigator && sudo apt-get install avant-window-navigator

After you have removed it, log out with Ctrl + Alt + Del and once you have logged back in, start AWN with the following terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) command if it doesn't start. I recommend a full restart though!:

Code:
avant-window-navigator

I am not at home at the mo and will look at the situation once I am on my own PC!. :D

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:39:09 pm

Hi Wolfman,

That used to work in 6 - when I try it in 9 it cannot find it because it uses something called avant-window-navigator data?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8589

Wolfman

Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:36:11 pm

Hi,

your settings should look like mine:

Workspace 1_002.jpg

Did you right click the desktop and select "Sort desktop icons by name" ???.

@Swarf, I will check that out later, gotta go 4 now!. :D

Wolfman

Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:29:34 pm

Okay chaps,

I checked out the "avant-window-navigator" command and it worked for me using Zorin 9!.

If you close the terminal, it will close the AWN panel so as I said before, I recommend a complete restart!.

Code:
avant-window-navigator

@TD, did you install any graphics card drivers and if so which?. Have you done a full system update?.

Terminal output:

wolfman@fred5:~$ avant-window-navigator
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "overlay-scrollbar"

** (avant-window-navigator:10947): WARNING **: No introspection data registered for object class "AwnApplication"

** (avant-window-navigator:10947): CRITICAL **: desktop_agnostic_config_schema_get_metadata_option: assertion 'self != NULL' failed

** (avant-window-navigator:10947): CRITICAL **: desktop_agnostic_config_new_for_instance: assertion 'schema != NULL' failed

(avant-window-navigator:10947): GConf-CRITICAL **: gconf_value_get_int: assertion 'value->type == GCONF_VALUE_INT' failed
Screen is composited

** (slickswitcher.py:10953): CRITICAL **: desktop_agnostic_config_schema_get_metadata_option: assertion 'self != NULL' failed

** (slickswitcher.py:10953): CRITICAL **: desktop_agnostic_config_new_for_instance: assertion 'schema != NULL' failed
gconf backend

** (DockBarX.py:10952): CRITICAL **: desktop_agnostic_config_schema_get_metadata_option: assertion 'self != NULL' failed

** (DockBarX.py:10952): CRITICAL **: desktop_agnostic_config_new_for_instance: assertion 'schema != NULL' failed
active workspace: <wnck.Workspace object at 0xb5f26b94 (WnckWorkspace at 0x963f0e0)>
Zorin Menu 1.2
settings load
DockbarX 0.91.4
DockbarX init
gmenu found, using it as default menu parser
Error: Could not connect to Zeitgeist.

** (ZorinMenu.py:10950): CRITICAL **: desktop_agnostic_config_schema_get_metadata_option: assertion 'self != NULL' failed

** (ZorinMenu.py:10950): CRITICAL **: desktop_agnostic_config_new_for_instance: assertion 'schema != NULL' failed
start
shaping window
DockbarX reload

(indicator3-applet-helper:10978): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_distribute_natural_allocation: assertion 'extra_space >= 0' failed

(indicator3-applet-helper:10978): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_distribute_natural_allocation: assertion 'extra_space >= 0' failed
Fix menuitem Xmoto
Fix menuitem Document Viewer
Fix menuitem E-Book Viewer
Fix menuitem KMail
Fix menuitem LibreOffice Draw
Fix menuitem Sieve Editor
Fix menuitem LibreOffice Math
Fix menuitem Backups
Fix menuitem Desktop Sharing
Fix menuitem Disks
Fix menuitem Software Centre
Error reading web bookmarks