This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Hidden Superuser account?

NetizenMT

Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:37:59 am

I've been working for several days to customize my Zorin OS 9 installation to work with the Acer C720 Chromebook. I've finally gotten the sound, brightness, touchpad and suspend/wake mode all working properly. I wanted to make a LiveUSB so that I could share the configuration with some friends who have the same equipment I do, as well as be able to put it away in case I ever have to rebuild my drive for some reason. However, the utility I have strips personal accounts out so as not to include personal info, and so when the IiveUSB boots up, it wants a username and password, and I don't have any way to log in. It uses casper to configure the liveusb if that helps. I sure would appreciate any advice.

New to Linux, and to Zorin OS 9, and LOVING it! I have it running on both my Chromebook, and my wife's Toshiba Satellite C855D Laptop (another difficult machine, as it used to be Windows 8). She was a die-hard Windows fan until Win8. Now she's an avid Zorinite!

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:44:07 am

I have never used this myself but if you are wanting to make a 'clone' of your drive I would aim to make it the same size as a large memory stick (32 Gb/64 Gb) and try one of the following:

1. Redo - http://redobackup.org/ - create a backup to an external drive, disconnect your hard drive, put USB in machine, boot off redo CD/DVD and put image to USB.

2. Download Clonezilla - http://clonezilla.org/ - making sure to copy the /mbr into the clone onto your USB stick - You may be able to do a proportional shrink to your large USB stick. Another possibility would be to clone to a small pocke USB external drive?

Please note I HAVE NOT tried any of the above suggestions - they are just thoughts of a swarf' :mrgreen: