This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Why is SRware Iron not working on Zorin Lite 9?

geo58impala

Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:19:28 am

I'm trying to get Iron browser working for my ancient computers installed with Zorin Lite. Most are about 15 years old and run slow with Firefox + Windows XP SP3. The first one i'm trying out is a dual 800MHz Pentium III PC with 512MB Ram and 2 SCSI hard drives. (Two 9GB drives) First I went to the Linux download page:

http://www.srware.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7975

Then I downloaded the 32-bit .deb file. I proceed with the install and it seems to install properly, but when I click on the SRware Iron browser icon in the "internet" tab nothing happens at all. Next I tried downloading the plain .tar file from the site and it download and I can view the files, butI see no file present to start the installation. I have ZERO Linux skills other than installing the os and running the preinstalled programs. It is an entirely different world for me (being a veteran Windows XP user) and I need some help getting started please.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:59:47 pm

Hi, the best advice I can give to you is to download and install 'gdebi' (GDebi Package Installer). Open a terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) - if this does not work in Lite search the menu for Terminal, then enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gdebi

Once installed it should place it in the menu - if not, still in the terminal, enter:

Code:
sudo gdebi

Then search for the SRIron .deb package to install - when the .deb package runs inside Gdebi you will get a report in the interface if there are any dependencies that are not present. If it reports 'All dependencies are satisfied' it should install. See if you can run SRIron from a terminal window - look in Computer | Usr | Share | Applications - search for SRIron and see if you can run it from there - once launched, pin to the panel at the bottom (Create Custom Launcher). It has been a while since I played with Lite. :D