This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Linux/SSD newbie needs some assistance - Again :)

Drame22

Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:38:34 pm

Hello all,

I'm trying to factory reset my SSD, but every "walk-through"(and I use that term in the loosest of senses) appears to operate under the assumption that the user is a Linux-savant; which I am not, regrettably. The guides all have supposedly simple instructions like this:

http://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/SSD ... cure_Erase

Which would be awesome, and completely adequate; if I knew how to even get into the first step's dialog page, which they choose to not cover in ANY guide I've read. I've re-read it multiple times and haven't found any baby-steps for actually getting to that screen; also tried searching for anything and everything within the instructions, to no avail. If someone could hold my hand through the process, using small, easily-digestable words, I would be eternally grateful. Hell, if you get my system running again, and feel inclined to trust a stranger, I will literally mail you a batch of my Double-Dark chocolate brownies w/ Twix filling!

I am currently running Zorin off my disk drive, because Windows decided to mess with my SSD, and now I cannot access it at all(Dialog: "Cannot Mount File").

Ideally, a simple 'wizard' program would be lovely, but I am capable enough of getting through the command lines, if someone could guide me. I'm not a moron; just new to the system, and I must admit it has a long way to go if Zorin wants to claim to be a "Windows alternative"; I'm born and raised on Windows and I cannot figure this out.

While I'm here, I will also need to wipe my standard hard drive after the SSD. My plan is to put Zorin and key programs on SSD, and everything else on my TB hard drive. The issue is Windows; it messed my SSD up, won't allow me to uninstall it(which is reason enough to want it uninstalled), and now I can't even access my SSD through my TB drive, which is maddening. Anyone have any advice on resetting a standard hard drive as well? Again, eternal gratitude. I rely on my computer for my business, and I've been idling for about four days now, losing money every single hour I spend fixing this issue.

Please help.

Also, EDIT: A related, or maybe not, problem; my computer occasionally 'hiccups' when playing video, loading pages, etc. It will slow down significantly for 10+/- seconds, and then roll along as usual. Very odd, did not happen on Windows. However, I did not do any of the apparently critical post-installation stuff, nor did I install things like Pipelight or Pepper flash.

Regards,
Drame22

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:44:13 pm

Hi, is this a hybrid PC with an SSD for Windows and a Hard Drive for Data? I t would be useful if you could give a bit more detail as to how your PC is configured with all your drives (both internal and external).

Thanks. :D