This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

X11 Sub-Folders

CarloPel

Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:30:32 pm

I recently discovered this anomoly while looking for some files:
Under usr/bin, there are 39 levels of X11 subfolders; i.e.: /usr/bin/X11/X11/X11..(39 times) with all files in the lowest level folder.

Can anyone explain what is creating all these empty sub-folders, and is there a way to stop it? Also, if I remove all these folders, and move files up to a more managable location, i.e.: /usr/bin/X11/... will this break some link somewhere??

Thanks for any info ...

CarloPel

Wolfman

Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:37:16 pm

Hi CP,

do you have an Nvidia graphics card?. This is a general question as I don't really have an answer for you but if you have an Nvidia graphics, it may be related to that!.

If the answer to the above question is yes, did you follow this guide?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

CarloPel

Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:33:02 am

Yes, I do have an NVIDIA card, however, the drivers were installed when the OS was installed. (GeForce Go 6400)
One correction: all X11 Folders have files in them. It appears each subsequent lower level is a copy of the Folder above.
Is there a utility that can tell me when a Folder was created, so I can see some time sequence as to when these copies were made?

Wolfman

Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:33:19 am

Hi CP,

if you right click any file/folder and look at properties, it should tell you when the files/folders were created!. :D

Normally, Nvidia Drivers will not install unless you do it manually, what you most likely have is the nouveau drivers!.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nouveau_(software)

Check out the Nvidia guide for further info:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:44:30 pm

From personal experience with a GT620 I prefer the Nouveau drivers as the proprietary drivers caused me headaches - colours all wrong and 'blue' effect on videos. I am very happy with the GNU/Linux drivers - they do the best job for me - I would advise never to go beyond 304 or 304+ if you do have an nVidia card. :D

CarloPel

Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:54:23 pm

While I appreciate all the NVIDIA advise, my original issue was with all the X11 Folders and how they were created. Does anyone have any info about X11 processes that may have done this??

Wolfman

Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:14:43 am

Hi,

not sure if this will help but you can read through these pages here:

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/tru ... onf.5.html

Hope it helps. :D