This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Automatically mount partition for 2 users

zio

Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:32:45 pm

I would like to have an ext4 data partition available and automatically mounted when either I log into my desktop or my wife logs into her desktop. Currently, when I log in the data partition is something like /media/me/data. Subsequently, when my wife logs in the data partition is something like /media/wife/data. If I mount the data file and then my wife logs in to her desktop she must provide her password before she can use the data partition. Similarly, if she logs out and I log into my desktop, then I must provide my password.

If I modify the fstab file to automatically mount the drive at startup I must provide a mount point which is something like /media/me/data. Then my wife cannot even mount the file when she logs in since the partition remains /media/me/data.

Is there an easy way to remedy this?

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:16:23 pm

Hi, Study the following screenshots which relates to my '/home/public' folder and make sure that your wife is an Administrator too, not just a standard user:

Right click the folder where data is stored and select 'Properties' then 'Permissions' tab:

Make sure you and your wife are in the same 'group'

A.
Share A.jpg

Click on Change permissions for enclosed files:

share1.jpg

Files - change to Read and Write

Share2.jpg

Folders - change to read and write

Share3.jpg

If a Network folder:

Network Share:

Make it a shared folder:

Network Share1.jpg

Allow others to create and delete:

Network Share2.jpg

Modify share - click on it to make the changes

Network Share3.jpg

Keep us posted! :D

zio

Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:35:17 pm

Currently, the partition property permissions I have are as follows:
Owner: me
Access: create and delete files
Group: family
Access: create and delete files
Owner: other
Access: access files

My wife is an administrator. We are both in the groups; me, wife and family. The partition /media/me/data is owned by me:family with read and write permissions for me and the group. Both of us are on the same computer.

If I log in, use the partition /media/me/data and logout and my wife logs into her desktop the partition is shown as /media/wife/data (not /media/me/data). When she clicks on it the following message will appear
"This location could not be displayed" .
"You do not have the permissions necessary to view the contents of data. If she then clicks on the up arrow next to the partition it then requests her password. After she enters it she can access the files as expected.

I have also changed the others permissions to create and delete files as you instructed. No change. This is not a network partition since we are on the same PC.

We would like to have permissions to the partition when we log in without having to enter our passwords every time one of us logs out.

Wolfman

Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:51:18 pm

Hi,

install the package "gnome-system-tools" which will show as Users & Groups in the System Tools > Administration section of the menu, then manage the groups to which you all want to belong to:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-system-tools

Users Settings_003.jpg

zio

Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:19:30 pm

Already done. As mentioned in the previous post my wife and I are both in 3 groups: me. wife and family.

Wolfman

Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:12:05 am

Hi,

did you set all the permissions in the groups the same?. :D

Wolfman

Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:12:23 pm

Hi again,

open Users & Groups then click on the persons name then on "Advance Settings" > Privileges and also check there:

Change Advanced User Settings_004.jpg

zio

Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:26:39 pm

I'm not sure what you mean about permissions on all groups. As mentioned before there are 2 users -- me and my wife and 3 groups -- me, wife, and family. My wife and I are both administrators with file permissions read and write and folder permssions write and execute as described in swarfendar437 post. Other groups have file read only and folders access only. When I changed the permission on other groups to file read and write and folder write and execute it had no effect on the results. So I changed them back.
The data partition is owned by me:family and it has read, write and execute permissions for both me and family for all files in the partition.

Wolfman thank you for the clarification. I just saw your most recent post and in Advanced settings all items are checked except 1) connect to wireless and ethernet networks, 2) use audio devices and 3) use scanners. I did not ever change these settings. Do you think that they should be checked? Do you think that checking them will make a difference with regard to my problem?

Although now they may not be necessary I will leave the first 2 paragraphs for completeness.

Wolfman

Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:46:16 pm

Hi Zio,

not sure what does what myself as I don't use the app but you can have a look here which has lots of pics and things!. :D

http://askubuntu.com/questions/66718/ho ... and-groups

zio

Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:07:36 pm

I really think that my problem relates to mount points. Let me try to explain it by example.

I would like to have the data partition available to both my wife and I (both administrators) without each of us having to mount the drive every time one of us logs in. For example, when I log in the partition mount point is /media/me/data. However, this partition is not available to my wife when she logs in. So, she must enter her administrator password to use the data files. Then the mount point changes to /media/wife/data. And guess what!! After she logs out and I log in this partition is not available to me. I must enter my administrator password and then the mount point is back to /media/me/data. This is becoming tedious.

Is there a way to avoid constantly having to mount the partition each time the other person logs in?

Wolfman

Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:19:05 pm

Hi,

I do understand what you want and if the Users & Groups tool isn't working for you, try Samba and create your own internal network:

http://www.maketecheasier.com/install-a ... e-sharing/

Hope it helps. :D

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:16:38 pm

Bearing in mind that Zorin is a fork of Ubuntu, this thread may (or may not) assist - please be sure to read the ENTIRE thread! ;)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1582562